I grew up in a game playing family. Sundays were religious days so we couldn't watch tv or do homework - we were "forced" to interact with each other. When the weather was nice we played Red Rover or Crack the Whip or Freeze Tag in our front yard. When it was hot we played card games and board games. Sorry, Life, Uno, Yahtzee, Scattegories, Trivial Pursuit...just to name a few. A few years ago my brother and his family moved to California so he could attend school and when they came to visit there was a new game in town: The Settlers of Cataan. Now any of you who know me know I do not like to learn new games - this especially applies to new games that seem way too complicated. Pretty soon almost my whole family was playing "Settlers". Not me, I held out. Finally after Alexander learned how to play I caved and tried it (thanks to Jamie). Addiction is a mild word for what followed in the next few months. We even went so far as to play it on the computer. Everyone who came over or came to visit was taught to play. Since it's summer and Ian's off work for a few weeks we have again caught "Settlers" fever. Alexander is now a formidable foe (see Mini Me post). Ian and I don't believe in letting our kids win at games so when Alexander beats us it is especially sweet (let's just say there is singing and dancing involved). Last night I taught Ben how to play and he did quite well (there was a moment that Alexander started to freak out when he thought his 7 year-old brother who has never played before was going to beat him). Any of you who are looking for a fun, educational game are welcome to borrow it (it's pretty expensive to buy in the store) or better yet come over and play!
Friday, June 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Love your blog!! YOu look gorgeous in your pictures! I love the b/w. Thanks for leaving comments, only about 3 people have my blog address! Happy blogging!
Are we talking "original" Settlers or are we talking "cities and knights?" If we're talking cities and knights, don't be surprised to see me at your door!
I still haven't caved and learned to play Cities & Knights!
We've so been looking for people to play settlers with. Game on!
Post a Comment