Thursday, October 16, 2008

I can't pee standing up...


I have always been a girlie girl. Don't get me wrong, I skateboarded, played sports and got in dirt clod fights as a kid, but I always loved to play dress up or secretary. My cousin Wendy and I used to go over to our best friend Heidi's house to sit in her garage and act like we were secretary's in a big company. Heidi's dad sold insurance and had lots of expired paperwork that we stamped, signed and made notes on. We had a system and were very efficient. I find it interesting that we didn't play "actresses" or "models" - we were secretaries. We dreamt big.

Or I remember getting dressed up and teasing our hair and then lip syncing to Cyndi Lauper or Madonna. My dad would video tape us making fools of ourselves. I loved putting on make-up. Of course we were strickly forbidden to wear make up until Jr. High, but I remember begging my mom in the 5th grade to wear eye shadow. She stood firm. But I had my ways. Amy Speirs would bring her make-up and apply bright purple eye shadow to my lids every day before class. That kind of back fired when my 5th grade pictures came home and I looked like a hussy.

Sometimes it doesn't seem fair that I'm a mom to 4 boys. I thought for sure I'd have girls - I love all that girlie stuff! It's like I'm being wasted on these boys. And then I saw a commercial for Bratz. And suddenly, I remember how happy I am with my dirt throwing, super hero loving, video game playing boys. It's all good. Because I'm the only princess in these parts. And that's the way I like it.

*This is one of those times I wish I had a scanner.

15 comments:

Trina said...

I know those brats dolls, what?? Besides I was scared to have a boy because I had my bros and really didn't want that. But my boy is way sweeter than my girl!!

Sheri said...

I hope I'm not sounding like I don't love girls- you know how I feel about my 3 adorable nieces. I'm just saying I'm happy with what God has given me :)

Lexie & Sharrid said...

ha ha yeah I've got 2 boys no girls yet, want one so hopefully but LOVE my boys, cause I was a total tomboy to the core growing up so love the boys...I would hardly know what to do with a girl, and seriously about the Bratz dolls, for real. I really don't want my kids playing with a doll named Bratz,...stupid.

Kim said...

That's so funny that you mentioned the Bratz commmercial. Every time I see it, I tell Joe: "I am sooo glad you are not a girl.

I've NEVER been a girly girl, so I am happy with my boy. Don't get me wrong though. Sometimes it's great to borrow someone else's girl to hang out with. Some of my favorite times are hanging out with Addy playing Strawberry Shortcake dolls.

In fact, I'm heading out right now to hang out with 3 of my favorite girls: Anna, Emmy and Addy.

Charlotte said...

You are lucky Sheri. Do you know how hard it is to shop for clothes for a girl and how much more $ it is? Then there's the whole hair thing, that takes so much longer. Then the attitude and she's only 9. Can you imagine once they get their time of the month? Holy HELL, Bill already can't handle me at that time!

Sheri said...

I don't know...Alexander is pretty dramatic and has an attitude too, but you are definitely right about the clothes - if we had a girl I'd be in trouble BIG time, because we all know how much I love to shop.

Teresa said...

Having 2 teenage stepdaughters, I can tell you be grateful for the boys because teenage girls are moody! Really, they are great, but puberty can be challenging. I really like the balance of sweet and tough that Jack has. It's so fun to be able to do all the "boy" play with him. Just use your nieces to satisfy your girly side (that's what I do!)

And I hate Bratz dolls. They are just nasty. (And people thought Barbie was a bad role model when we were younger...suddely she is looking much better!)

tsumomi said...

Trust me having 4 girls it is a house full of hormones over here. You were actually blessed with the boys. Marc and Josh are always threating to get an apartment and leave us girls to whine, bitch and moan.

MELANIE said...

I am happy with my one boy and I hoping to "acquire" a second boy sometime. Girl's kind of scare me too. I know that all in all it would be so fun and rewarding but the thought of a girl is a little frightening. I think four years in young women's did it to me.

Becca said...

I'm a girlie girl too and it is pretty obvious where Melanie is headed - very girlie!

And, Scanners are awesome - get one!

Unknown said...

I don't know where they messed up cause i am so NOT girlie! Although I am learning I would love to be the only princess in my palace!!

Amanda said...

There aren't many women out there who can raise four happy boys, and you are great at it.

There is still time.

Would you have posted the hussy picture? I would have liked to see that one.

Merilee said...

Boys are so much fun. I love getting to raise 2 of them. I happen to really love raising a little girl as well. Shopping for her is so much fun too!

I also enjoyed playing secretary as a child. To this day I love all those note pads and pens and stamps.

Tim said...

Sheri, don't feel bad - I looked like a hussy in 5th grade too.

Christy said...

Anytime you want to scan some photos for blogging purposes, just come on over... I'll let you borrow mine!