Monday, October 20, 2008

Running Man (and Woman)

Sometimes Ian and I go running together. A lot of the time he'll say, "Wake me up in the morning so I can run with you" but I never do. He just looks so cozy in bed, that I can't do it. It seems too mean. Especially since he basically runs for a living. So sometimes (usually Saturday or Sunday) at night we will run a couple miles together. And usually Ian leaves me in the dust. His strides are obviously much longer than mine, so I don't even attempt to keep up. We just shout back and forth at each other. It's doesn't sound like fun, but it is.

Last night (after being gluttonous all day) we decided to go for a run. Imagine my surprise when Ian comes out holding 2 7lb dumbbells and has ankle weights strapped to his legs. And he wants me hold his water for him so he can carry the dumbbells. Uh-uh. I don't like to run holding things. I also tell him that those ankle weights are going to kill him. He considers, then takes them off. Since I've already been waiting outside for him for about 10 minutes I start off - Ian screams, "WAIT!!! WAIT!!!! WAIT!!!" "I'm sick of waiting!" I reply (I am not a patient person). But then I wait, and off we go.

Seriously, I don't think I've laughed that hard in a long time. Ian is running in front of me - wildly swinging his arms (because he's holding the weights, I guess). I can't help giggling.
Ian: "What?"
Me: "Nothing - just you look like a fool".
Ian: "My arms are burning!" (we haven't even hit the 1/2 mile mark yet).
Me: "I hate to say it...but I told you so..."
Ian: "Take a weight!"
Me: "No"
Ian: "Please - that way you'll get some resistance training in."
Me: "Fine! I'll try it!"

We keep running and now we are running on dirt. And it's dark. Ian says,"I'm paranoid I'm going to hit a rut and trip."
"Hmmm..., I've never thought of that...I'm more concerned about a big black dog bounding across that field and attacking us" I reply (I told you I have irrational fears).
"Thanks - I've already had that fear realized" says Ian (I forget what he does for a living).

2 seconds later I tell him I don't like holding the weight and try to give it back. He won't take it. So then I stop and start yelling that I'll leave this weight by the side of the road and he comes and gets it. And then says, "You didn't like it because you only were holding one - try holding both - that way you'll be symmetrical" (side note: Ian LOVES symmetrical - everything must be symmetrical). "No thanks" I tell him. "PLEASE! YOU'LL LOVE IT!" He yells. "Just like you are loving it?" I counter. We have barely hit the mile mark at this point.

Eventually he leaves the weights by the side of the road to pick up on the way back. And can I just say that running with Ian is one of the best dates we've had in a long while.

13 comments:

Brian said...

And I thought there would be a reference to Schwarzenegger or an irrational fear of running into Dynamo or Buzzsaw in the field. Just seems like an Ian thing to do.. Anyway, love the visual.

IAN said...

Seriously though--running with weights is not cool.
My arms were killing and i couldn't find a groove with my stride. it screwed everything up.
I would have chucked them but i couldn't raise my arms after a mile or so.
i didn't think about the fact that i turn that huge steering wheel around all day.
then comes the 300 to 500 boxes everyday... lifting,lowering,raising,carrying,dragging,pushing,pulling,throwing-oh yeah we don't do that one. he he..
point is - I will NEVER run with weights again.

Amanda said...

That is hilarious. I love hearing about couples who have fun together. You guys rule!

Michelle and Aaron said...

Haha running with weights is not fun at all! I hate carrying anything, I'll dehydrate before I'll carry water. (Yes, I'm stupid. Yes, I am aware of said stupidty)Running with others also throws me off, I just need my tunes and I'm good.

Teresa said...

You guys are very weird.

Trina said...

Ha! Hillarious! Fun times. Just an fyi running with weights will throw your back off. I wish you had a picture of the ankle weights!!

PassTheChips said...

Put the weight on your hips (no, not cheetoes). Your back will be sore, but when you take them off, you'll be flying.

Heather said...

This was a great story. Totally had me laughing. Patrick and I can't even run together because he just sprints and then walks. He spends most of the run yelling at me to go faster or slow down.

tsumomi said...

I would have loved to be there for that run. Trying to be a stud. Too funny.

IAN said...

okay mike,
i actually would take your advice when it comes to running over anyone else.
however, could you please drop the cheeseballs comments.
that was probably the first time i had those in years and i haven't had them since and for some odd reason i am cheesepuff boy to you.
good day kind sir.

PassTheChips said...

I hereby do solemnly swear to mostly refrain from ever mentioning your love and consumption of faux cheesey snacks.

Seriously though, weight on the hips will really help (or you can just run hills). Just make sure the belt is elastic and doesn't bounce. Bloody hips (and I've had them) suck.

Tim said...

I wore ankle weights for about a year once...

...I liked it.

ACS said...

TOOO funny!