Wednesday, April 16, 2008

#1 Son

Dear Alexander,

It is amazing to me to think that 10 years ago today you were born. You were my first, so everything didn't go as smoothly as it could've, but you have taught me to be patient, understanding and to be a good listener. Even at an early age you loved for me to read to you. Your favorite book was "Brown Bear, Brown Bear". At the age of 1 1/2 you could recite the book "Oliver and the Monsters" from memory and you knew all the verses to "I am a Child of God".

One of my favorite memories of you was when you were 3 or 4 and we were at the park. You wanted so bad to be able to climb the monkey bars by yourself - you would stretch your little arms as high as they would go but to no avail. I looked over and saw you kneeling beneath the bars. At first I thought you had fallen so I ran over and asked what was wrong. You said you were praying that you could reach the bars.

We have always had a special bond - like there is a secret only the two of us know. Whenever I need to run an errand you always want to come and I look forward to the conversations we have. You are and have always been inquisitive - you must know WHY! You are sensitive (like me), get stressed out easily (again, like me) but luckily you have your dad's coordination and sense of humor. Yesterday you gave me a hug and almost knocked me over! I relish your hugs as they are becoming fewer and more farther between.

I look forward to seeing you learn and grow. To watching you excell and to watching you fail. I wonder what you will be, where your choices will lead you and I hope I can guide you in the best way possible. I love you so much and feel honored and blessed to be your mom! Happy Birthday!

10 comments:

Brian said...

Happy Birthday, Alex. You are a special kid and definitely have the world at your fingertips. I hope you have a GREAT day.

Anonymous said...

That was so sweet! Someday I hope he reads it and realizes how awesome his mom is! Happy Birthday!!!

Unknown said...

That is so nice. Alex really is a smart fun kid. Happy Birthday Alex

Amanda said...

Sheri I have no idea why I am crying...but I am. PMS maybe (I hope). Great post!!!

LauraB said...

That's about the best 10th birthday gift you could give him!!

ACS said...

Beautiful post!

Trina said...

Oh that is the best! Xander really is a great kid! Love ya Xan and Happy Birthday!! You are such a great mom!

Anonymous said...

Xan...I love you so much!

I had exactly what mom wrote to you but she stole everything and used it as hers.
just kidding...
but, I will add that I know how much it means to you to do everything perfect and that might be too much of me rubbing off on you. No matter what you do and where you go in life you will always be my son and my pride. I've always said you were my pride and Ben was my joy. Then we had two more and i'm still trying to figure them out. Maybe call Max and Evan--- shock and awe.

I can't tell you how many times I have sung Silent Night to you, even to this day-- i hope you are not embarrassed. I always just look at you as you fall asleep to my beautiful soothing voice(okay that might be a stretch)and swell up with a pure love, that you are a part of me and I'd do anything for you.

A memory I have of you is just about perfect. It gives anything Max does a run for the money. It was when you were about two years old and we were leaving my grandparents cabin in Pinetop. You could speak so well at an early age, even the doctors were amazed. Anyrate, grandma wouldn't let you have any cashews because she said she had choked on them when she was an infant and nearly died. I didn't think you minded too much not getting to partake until I was putting you in the car, and a diabolical look appeared on your face. You leaned in, and I swear your seemed 20 yrs. old, and whispered....Dad, let's take their nuts. It was so shocking and hysterically funny that you had been planning this in your brain on how to get those cashews without your great grandnana knowing about it. The way you said that will never leave me.
I hope to have a million more of these memories with you throughout time. Happy 10th , my boy. Whoa... You are now in the double digits. Soon to be a young man, I guess.

Kim said...

Happy Birthday Xander! You are now in the double digits club with Michael and Joe. I remember when you were all in the no pants club when you were about 3. I have lots of pictures of you, Michael and Joe running around in your underwear. I think Michael stayed in that club the longest.

I have lots of fun memories of you when you were just a little guy, coming to play at my house. I have lots of fun pictures too.

You are such an awesome kid. I'm glad that you and Joe are cousins and friends.

Happy Birthday.

Teresa said...

Sheri, one day your children will be so thrilled that you have created this video diary as a tribute to them. Happy Birthday Alexander!