Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Digital Girl

I love e-mail. I know, I am so 21st century. I like it because instead of having an hour conversation with someone, I can type 2 sentences and get to the point. Some people complain that e-mail is impersonal. And that's o.k. by me. I don't need to talk to you and get personal. I just want to get business done in the shortest time possible.

O.k. here's the truth. My phone skills suck. Really. And the less I know you the more inept I am. Because if I know you, you know that I have no phone skills and won't get offended when I abruptly end our conversation. Or maybe you'll get offended but you'll get over it if you still want to be friends.

Cell phones are the worst. I find myself constantly interrupting people and then they are breaking up and I can't hear them any way. Most of the time I hate talking on my cell phone.

I have recently become a fan of text messaging. It's just like e-mail - but better because 99% of people always have their cell phone and I usually get a reply much quicker. It's great for on-going jokes. Ian and I do it all the time (tell on-going jokes that is). Although I am incredibly slow at texting. You should see my nephew J. If there was a competition, he would totally win. Ian is pretty good but now he speaks his texts which is more hilarious than you can imagine. Whenever he is speaking a text in front of me I break into uncontrollable giggles which causes him to mess up and the phone guesses the wrong words. For some reason whenever he starts with his robot voice I can't help myself - it sounds so stupid.

I do like talking on the phone to a select few. But most of the time I dread making phone calls. It's always nice if my kids are nearby because then I can pinch one of them when I want to get off the phone. "Oh no! I have to go - Evan just started screaming!" Works like a charm every time.

13 comments:

Brian said...

Ok, first of all, you shouldn't tell the free world your secret, because now if you say "oh my gosh, Evan just started screaming...I have to go" we will all think you're lying. Secondly, I really doubt this post because there is no more a social butterfly than you, except a certain person (you know who you are:-)). You LOVE to talk to people. Maybe that's just at b-ball games and such, but you're always in a group chatting away.

tsumomi said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only evil pinching mom out there. I so get where you are coming from.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's pretty rude.

Brian said...

What's pretty rude? I hope you're not talking about me. There's nothing wrong with being a social butterfly. I like to know what's up with people, but my problem is that not enough people like me to enable me to be a social butterfly.

ducklips said...

join the Twitter revolution then. Text on the web and on the phone. Woo hoo.

Sheri said...

Brian - I like to talk to people in person - I just don't have good phone etiquette.

Anon - Are you talking to me?

Elise - what the heck is Twitter?

Charlotte said...

Wow, Sheri, I can't tell you how many times you've said "Evan just started screaming" to me on the phone. I'm so hurt. J/K!!

Amanda said...

Rude? I think it's rude if you keep talking to someone when you don't want to. Because you will just bad mouth them later.... : )

I can't wait to call you, and talk A LOT!!!!

Kim said...

I don't like to talk on the phone either. That's why I don't have a cell phone. I'm probably the last person on the planet who doesn't have one, and I like it that way!

Jen said...

I love email too. It's great when I need to ask someone for a ride to baseball every other day.:)

I love texting too, I find T9 mode is the best for me. Justin and Chris are amazing at texting too.

ducklips said...

Sorry, that was Stephen. He is loving twitter.com and keeps telling me and everyone to get on. It's like an ongoing IM that you can send text with as well. I will probably get on there soon too.

ACS said...

Great post! lolol I feel the same way. I agreed with just about everything you said!!! I love getting to the point, I sometimes forget to even say goodbye when talking to others--rude, and can barely keep my cell phone charged cuz I dont care about it enough, etc. etc. And I only have like 4 people that I enjoy speaking with on the phone at length. I am bad, I guess. I think that is why I love blogging and email. I can be bolder...and sometimes it is nice that to say something without letting anyone immediately say something back!!! RE: Phone calls Bummer I cannot really use the kid thing...that will come in handy someday. My dog excuses are lame. My dog can only be "throwing up all over the carpeting" so many times...
I also LOVE emailing parents instead of getting all nervous calling! :-)

megan said...

here is the trick to being a fast texter... don't look at the word while you are trying to write it out. It messes you up if it isn't choosing the right word as you type it. Go back after you type the word to make sure it is ok. Most of the time it is the right word and you didn't try to delete it five times.