Thursday, January 20, 2011

Left Field

Let me tell you a secret...

I got a new calling at church. I am in the Stake Young Women's Presidency. Go ahead and laugh. Before I accepted the calling I tried to tell them why I wouldn't be good...but they didn't buy it.

And then I got super duper stressed when the previous counselor told me how time consuming and stressful the calling would be. I might've called Ian and asked him if we could move. I don't remember because it was a dark day. I cried a lot.

The people closest to me were concerned that it would be too much. And that worried me even more. And then I might've asked Ian if we could quit the church (I was kidding!). And I cried a little more.

After much prayer, advice and introspection, I decided to take it one day at a time and to do the best I can. And here's the thing - while I feel like a fish out of water sitting in Stake meetings or talking to adults...I love, LOVE the young women. I can relate to teenage girls. I like Justin (Timberlake not Bieber). I like skinny jeans (even though I said I never would) and make up and romantic movies and dancing and shopping. I don't mind making a fool of myself. I just love being a girl.

I'm not as spiritual as the other leaders. And I'm definitely not as articulate or smart. But I know that the church is true. And I know that the teachings of the church can help these young women because they have helped me.

So instead of dwelling on what this calling will require of me, I'm going to try and focus on what I can give this calling.

But it wouldn't hurt if you all said a small prayer for me.