Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Identity Crisis













The warning signs were there. I only blame myself (and Ian too - because it's fun to blame Ian and it makes me feel better). I let - even encouraged! him. I bought the costumes, cheered when he defeated bad guys and even called him Spiderman. So I am not totally shocked that Max thinks he is Spiderman. Not kidding.

Those of you who know him, know that Max has been working on and perfecting his Spidey "moves" for months, even years (see Spider-Max post). All of my kids have went through the dress-up as a super hero phase so that's just what I thought this was - a phase. So NOT a phase.

He is not Spiderman all of the time. Sometimes he is the Phantom of the Opera (complete with mask and cape), sometimes he is Batman, sometimes he is a super hero of his own creation (my personal fav) and sometimes he is Max. But his first choice is always Spidey.

When Max is Spiderman you must address him as such. You may also call him Peter Parker if his mask is not on, but NEVER (I cannot stress this enough) call him Max. Unless you have a death wish. As Spiderman he will pose, climb walls (by scooching around on the floor), fight bad guys, spin webs and set traps. Today at the water park at the zoo he happened to be wearing his Spiderman swim trunks. Therefore he was Spiderman and everyone else was an evil villian. He had some great moves (and luckily no one got injured).

I'm really starting to worry - does he actually think he is Spiderman? I think he does. Is it bad of me to encourage him? To let him wear his costume to the supermarket? To ask him to show people his "moves"?

Next time you see him, you be the judge.

12 comments:

top knot extensions said...

That is HILARIOUS!!! You are such a good writer!!!

Teresa said...

I LOVE it! Yes, let him wear the costume wherever...he is a kid and you are such a cool mom for allowing him his imagination.

Becca said...

If you ask Tim, or one of his brothers they will probably let you in on the secret - Gail IS Superman (although he no longer believes in wearing tights, as Tim reports). I know it sounds silly, but I am serious I have seen him in action. Sheri, it may seem unreal, but have you ever considered that Max might be telling the truth - You are so privileged that he reveals his "True" form in you presence - and you have actual photos - please, for the sake of humanity, keep his identity safe!
Tim says you could probably make some money off the pictures at the Daily Bugle.

Amanda said...

The little boy next door is always wearing a Spiderman costume, and it is way too small. It seems his mom has the same issue. I think it is awesome. I love it!

Unknown said...

I love it. If I remember correctly, Alex went to tithing settlement as Peter Parker with a superman shirt under his church shirt??!!! Great imaginations!

Charlotte said...

Is that why he ignored me at Ryans party cuz I kept calling him Max??

Merilee said...

That is freaking cool. Let him be spiderman as long as he wants to be. I think I might have mentioned before that Boston spent about two years of his life as
Fasty the Cheetah. There was no costume so that meant he was always in character and also would not answer to any other name. Kids!!!

Kim said...

This post reminds me so much of Joe. He was always in costume. He had them all - batman, superman, spiderman, phantom, even some of his own making and some I had to make for him. Do you remember his Jafar stage? My favorite was when he was Clark Kent. He had the fake glasses, and would wear his superman shirt underneath a zip up jacket. I also enjoyed the six months that he went everywhere with those huge swimming goggles on.

Even though he's older he still likes costumes. Right now he is obsessed with Iron man and Indiana Jones. You've seen his Indy hat.

I love Spider Max. I hope he stays like that forever!

Chris C said...

I say encourage this as much as possible. It is great for kids to expand their imagination and develop that creative side of their brain.

The real question is how do I call him if I am in trouble? And can he get to Oregon fast enough to help me?

Christy said...

I take Brayden all the time to the store with his "costumes" on... people think it's so cute and it keeps him happy while we run errands! Eric on the other hand, can't handle taking the kids out in "costume"... he's just not as relaxed in public as I am, I guess!

Jon said...

Let the kid be a kid for as long as he wants to be a kid. Jamie still thinks I act like a kid and I'm proud of it.

Trina said...

I totally think there is nothing wrong with encouraging to be Spiderman! But who am I. I love his identity crisis. Max would not be Max without Spidy!!