This is my baby. He is such a great kid. He's funny. He's smart. He's responsible. And a quick learner. I met with his teacher last week and she told me that if she had a son, she'd want him to be like Xander. I was blown away. Then his soccer coach e-mailed me this week and told me that the coach from the opposing team at their last game went on and on about what a great defensive player Xander is. That's my boy.
A few months ago my sister Kim called asking if they could take Xander with them to Disneyland. At first I said no because I didn't want him to miss school. But after discussing it with Ian, I changed my mind. I didn't, however, know when I told him "yes" that he'd be gone for 6 days. 6 days. I think it's going to be harder on me than him.
Xander left this morning and I already miss him (even though I hugged him for atleast 5 minutes and even managed to get a kiss or two in). I'll miss him coming in my room at night and telling me about his day. And about the girl he has his eye on. And how Michael caused one sort of mischief or another. I'll miss him stalling at bed time - begging for a bowl of cereal. I'll miss watching "Biggest Loser" together. Or him reminding me that "The Office" is on - and then trying to sneak in to watch it too. And o.k., I admit it - I'm going to miss him babysitting. Because he does a great job (95% of the time).
I'm thinking about going to California, hunting him down and bringing him home.
Letting go is hard.
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
I'm going to Disneyland
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Wow, six days. That would be hard. I have a hard time just letting my kids spend the night at their friends house.
He will never forget how awesome(or crazy) his parents are for letting him do this.
Hey, tell Kim I would of went to Disneyland with her for 6 days!! I'm jealous. So, are you heading to Scottsdale Fashion Square tonight to see your twilight stars?
It will be interesting to see if Xander has any difficulty being away from you for 6 days. My guess is, if he's honest, he'll have had a few pangs of homesickness!
What is this about Twilight stars? I need some filling in.
I think you are an awesome mom for letting him go and it sounds like he is the kind of kid who has earned it.
i read this the other day and have been thinking of you. hope you are hanging in there. its hard - but good for both of you. the babysitting this sucks the most. i had abby and josh both gone last summer for a week. i was glued to the hip with the others.
I love how much you recognize and appreciate the differences in your kids. Hang in there. He will be home soon.
Post a Comment