Monday, November 3, 2008

Halloween

This is the only photo I have of Halloween this year. At the last minute, Alexander decided to be a Jamaican dude and I managed to snap a picture while we were at my Grandmas. We had a very busy Halloween night - and to make it more stressful Ian had to work late (think 9:00 pm) so I had to do it solo.

My problem is that we try to do too many things. We went to my grandmas (Tempe), Tiffany's ward carnival (Gilbert), Trick-or-Treating (Gilbert) and to Ian's parents (Mesa). Next year I will simplify! But the boys had fun and so did I. That's the most important thing.

After speaking with some other mothers, I'm astonished by how many moms ration or take away their kids' candy. Am I a bad mom for letting them eat their candy whenever they want? They all still have 75% of their candy left - and I've been eating it too. There's something about knowing they can have it that kind of takes away the allure. Out of all my kids, Ben is the one who has eaten the most and yesterday he suffered a stomach ache. He's learning the hard way. I think.

17 comments:

Karen Lambson said...

Why did you get me in that picture. Boy the camera really does add ten pounds.
Something good came from this, I'm definitely going on a diet.

Sheri said...

Mom, you are one of the most beautiful women I know. Inside and out.

Methodical Wormer said...

So when did you start letting your kids just have all their candy? That's how it was for us growing up. We'd binge a few times and then forget about it.

My SIL actually pays her kids CASH (and sometimes quite a bit) for their candy and sends it to work with her husband for the office. That I don't get.

Amelia and Erik Lambson said...

I think it is awesome that you don't take away your kids' candy!

ducklips said...

I used to take away my kids candy and put it in a big family bucket of candy. Then they had to have permission to eat it. I only did it though because my girls got mean with that much sugar in them and then I was almost scared of them.
This year they are finally old enough that they aren't so ruled by it. I just let them keep it as long as they eat breakfast first.

LauraB said...

I think it's true - they'll govern themselves pretty well. And if they don't, they'll get a stomach ache!!

Unknown said...

At least they all had fun! I have to say I did convince my kids to give me all of their peanut butter cups!

Amanda said...

I let them have as much as they want (after lunch) for like 4 days, then I throw the rest away. They usually have whatever they really wanted gone by then. I just can't stand it around for too long.

Teresa said...

Love his costume. You do seem very scheduled. I would go crazy with that much to do.

Kim said...

Joe's allowed to have as much as he wants on Halloween and then I start to ration it. I'm not too stingy though. I have to ration. He doesn't sleep as it is. If I let him have all the sugar he wanted he'd be up all night. After a couple of days he's sick of it anyway.
Every year he ends up with tons of leftovers that we end up throwing out months later.

Karen Lambson said...

Thanks Sheri, you are very sweet.

Love,Mom

Trina said...

Wow, I am a mean mom. I am putting my kids through detox because they are super addicted! They get 1-2 a day and yesterday they had none. But they did have a brownie:)

Tim said...

I ration Melanie's candy - I think it would be wrong to let her have so much (many of which are choking hazards). So there you have it. I ration and you don't. One of us must be a bad parent.

Kim said...

Tim, you are too funny.

Lexie & Sharrid said...

I think you are totally right to not ration their candy! It's a holiday for goodness sakes!

Charlotte said...

I tell my kids the candy expires. For some reason, they are afraid of expired food. So after about a week or two I throw a ton away in the trash!

Tim said...

Candy Expires! Uh, oh...