Poor Alexander. Being the first child I feel like he's somewhat of an experiment. We were (still are) figuring out what works and what doesn't in this whole crazy child-rearing experience. And because of that I feel like everytime he does something wrong I am a failure. That I am not good enough or wise enough to be his mother. The whole bird incident really threw me for a loop. It took me a few days to get some perspective on that one. But this past weekend I was reminded what an awesome kid Xander really is.
Friday we had a yard sale. The kids have been bugging me to do this for weeks and I finally relented. Xander was the super-star of the sale. He would greet customers, bargain with them (always start high and come down a little) and basically get to know them. I'm usually pretty shy, so it was great having him call out, "Hi! is there anything in particular you are looking for?" He was so charming that one man gave him a $3.00 tip. Xander made the whole experience fun.
*On a side note, Max was hilarious. He had a table full of toys and was charging $1.90 for almost everything. He refused to come down and consequently only made $ .25 (one kid felt bad for him).
This morning I had committed to volunteer at the boys' school by helping clean the grounds. At the last minute I asked Xander to come along to keep me company. He was awesome. He kept busy raking and shoveling sand and washing windows. At the end I had to force him to leave. I had 2 moms tell me how impressed they were by his work ethic. Xander actually loves to work - and thanks to Ian he knows how to use a shovel and a rake and how to wash windows.
I am so grateful to be this kid's mom. Even though we have our ups and downs I feel like mostly we are doing right by him. And that makes me feel...relieved...and happy :)
3 comments:
I promised Zane we would g oto the garage sale he was so excited. But by 10am we were nowhere near ready to leave the house so I figured you had closed up shop.
He is still asking if we are going to Max's house to buy a new toy. Poor kid, next time we see Max we should have home drag along a few of his toys that didn't sell- Zane will be his best customer!
And where did $1.90 come from -that's hilarious.
I like this post. You have some awesome boys! You have so much to be proud of...and so much to be entertained with...
Can I borrow Xander when I do my garage sale?
You do have awesome boys. I am loving Xander's sarcasm and funny sense of humor right now.
I miss Max. I wish I would have come to your garage sale. I would have paid $1.90 for one of his toys. I feel bad for him.
Post a Comment