Sunday, August 24, 2008

Unprecedented

I wish I were more competitive. Or that I cared more about winning. I think it stems from never winning anything as a child (unless I cheated). So I just stopped caring about it. I do try my best (but sometimes I don't) but I've come to realize that I'm an average person. Like I'm average at sports, at games, at life. You know? and when you're average, you really don't win a lot. And I'm fine with that.

The thing is, Ian is not average a sports, games, etc. He is exceptional. He wins all the time. And Ian loves to win so much that he refuses to "let" any of our kids beat him at anything. This drives me crazy because I think it's good for a child's self esteem to let them win every once in a while. Ian's theory is that it's better not to let them win because they will appreciate it that much more when they do. This is just one of the many areas where we don't see eye to eye where parenting is concerned. Yeah, it is annoying.

So you can imagine my joy today, as we were all wrestling on the bed when I found his "weakness". Every super hero has one, and so does my husband it would seem. While I don't want to write the specifics (trust me, it's tmi) it worked like a charm. One minute Ian was beating Ben, Evan and I and the next we had him cowering in the fetal position.

It was a gold star day at the Trezise household. Maybe winning ain't so bad.

Ian drowning his sorrows in a tub of cheese balls

16 comments:

Methodical Wormer said...

Oh man, I LOVE those cheese balls. Watch out, I'm coming over.

I'm glad you've got his weak point. I have a BIL who's the same way about playing games with kids. I don't get it either.

Methodical Wormer said...

HAHAHAHA! I JUST noticed the Wicked shirt. Love it.

jill said...

Sheri, you life is anything but average! You crack me up!

Anonymous said...

Kayla sorry to say its a Wicked Tinkers shirt. Which is actually a Scottish bagpipe band. i got it at the annual Highland games. Not the Wicked you thought-so sorry to disappoint that i am not completely gay. although i love les miserables and phantom and the lion king broadway shows. sheri cries like a baby. i always seem to catch some dust in my eyes a few times.

LauraB said...

Kuddos to your boys for continuing to play with Ian! It takes a lot to keep getting beaten down and still want to "play" with someone who constantly wins. I always employed the tactic that letting the kids win some ensured they would continue to play games with me! I just want to play - I don't care who wins!!

Merilee said...

DOes Ian rock at games because his dad always beat the crap out of him (at games I mean)?

Sheri said...

That's a good question Mer, I'll have to ask him.

Teresa said...

Cheese balls make everything better.

liz said...

i always ponder the pub mix at costco. it's equally neon orange and healthy.

Kim said...

I like this post. I especially like the picture of Ian drowning his sorrows.

Jon said...

I agree that Ian is exceptional at various things but I have to point out that I have played him many a time in basketball...no further comment needed.

Chris C said...

I am the same way as Ian. When I used to practice hockey with Boston he got to be better than I was by the time he was 7. I would make him wear his full pads when we practiced and here's why... When he would skate past me I would use my stick to trip him, it was my only defense. The kids need to learn how to lose, especially since they don't teach that in youth sports. I hate that. Everyone is NOT a winner and everyone does NOT deserve a trophy just for playing.

Sheri said...

Well said, Chris. I agree with you, but I also think that he could let up every once in a while.

PassTheChips said...

Cheese balls? So what you are saying Ian is that you're not going to let the kids win if you are capable of winning, but you don't really care about being capable of winning? Do you want your kids to start beating you regularly next week or do you want to prolong their agony (oh, sweet children's agony!) for another 20+ years?

Now drop and give me 100 pushups. And yes, they can be girl pushups because that's probably all you're capable of after those disgusting cheese balls...

Anonymous said...

what exactly am i saying!?! i don't remember saying anything other than wearing a wicked tinker shirt and crying at broadway shows. yes they are cheeseballs. but i do eat real food too. ok, now after i do my girly push ups sarge are you gonna try to put me in my place. i'd like to see that.

liz said...

"sorry to disappoint that i am not completely gay" comment cracked me up.

i actually wondered the same thing about the wicked t-shirt (what? ian!) and was a little sad for you that you got caught in a photo with it on.

glad to know you aren't gay afterall, ian.