


The Christmas spirit has somewhat eluded me this year. On the whole I've been grumpier. My poor children - the littlest thing has set me off and let's face it when I'm not happy - no one's happy! Last year Stacy & Paul's family delivered sack lunches with food and socks in them to the homeless in downtown Phoenix. This year they invited our whole family to come. I hope it's a tradition we continue. We all pitched in and bought enough things to fill about 100 sacks. Last night we congregated at my mom's house and decorated and filled the sacks. This morning we added pb&j's to them. We all caravan-ed over and parked on the side of the street. People started running toward us right away. I had to stay by the car because Evan was asleep inside but I watched my boys hand out sacks. Tears filled my eyes when I saw Ben approach a man, hand him a sack and then the man held out his hand for Ben to shake. I thought for sure that Ben, my shyest child, wouldn't want to participate. Not only did all the kids participate, but they were loving it! Max was just as excited as everyone else - he kept searching for people to give his sacks to. It warmed my heart. I kept remembering the scripture, "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me" (that might not be the exact wording but you get the picture). When Joseph got back into the car he exclaimed, "That felt really good!" I was so happy that my children could experience the spirit of giving.
Merry Christmas!
7 comments:
That sounds like a great tradition. And I guess it is better than my Anthropologie tradition(I did get some really cute things). Really I could do both next year. A little passing out lunches in the morning and Anthro in the afternoon.
I love this idea - I'm always trying to find ways for my kids to get more into the spirit of giving and to realize how really lucky they are...
That is so awesome! I want to try that next year. What a great way to give.
What a wonderful thing to do! Last year my mom and I went to Salt Lake and decorated the homeless shelter for families called "The Road Home". It was so rewarding and it was a huge reminder that I have well more then I need and that serving is wonderful. Merry Christmas!
that is so beautiful I really almost started crying.
we did that on my mission. there are not a lot of homeless in ljubljana and the ones that are blame a lot on the US for their influence of democracy. they all had jobs before. it was so amazing to see their looks of surprise and gratitude when the american mormon missionaries brought them presents on Christmas day.
i'm sure it was similar to the homeless in phoenix to receive a gift from small children. you are definitely teaching your children to be true disciples of Christ.
(Sorry for the book. I just couldn't turn off my thoughts.)
Wow - I'm like Elise - I almost started crying. What a wonder tradition! Mind if we borrow it? I'd love to do something like that next year.
I think next year we might adopt a family instead. We'll see :)
Post a Comment