Saturday, December 15, 2007

Am I Crazy?????

Look at that kid. Adorable. A few weeks ago a girl calls the house. O.k. I am aware that Xander has a girl (or a few girls) "interested" in him. I know because their moms have all told me. There is one girl though that he seems to like too (I know this because he told me). They exchanged Christmas cards. She called our house - no one answered (big surprise) but Xander recognized her # and called her back. And then she denied she ever called - HELLO - caller I.D.? The next day at school she apologized for lying about not calling. When she did call and Xan called her back I was not too happy. I really don't want to encourage this type of behavior in my 9 year-old. GIRLS STILL HAVE COOTIES!!! Why can't he remember that?

So today she calls again. This time she leaves a message. Xander calls her back and she wants him to go to the movies with her family. Again I am floored. Is this behavior normal? I am torn. I can see how happy it would make him to go, but am not sure if it's appropriate. I try to talk to Ian about it but Xander comes with me and Ian starts cracking all sorts of jokes and teasing him. I call my mom. We discuss it and decide it's o.k. if her parents are there because she is his friend. She's somewhat of a tomboy and they get a long really well. Xander calls back and says he can go and then I talk to the girl's mom for a while (just to make sure we are all on the same page about this girlfriend/boyfriend mumbo jumbo). So...did I make the right decision? Cause' I'm kind of second-guessing it.

*On another note...we had Ben's birthday party today and smack dab in the middle of it I started to throw up. And our t.v. is broken - unless everything is supposed to look green/blue? My point being be nice with your comments...my day has already been less than stellar.

11 comments:

Becca said...

How old is Alex? I don't want to open that can of worms - I'm so sorry. My parents let me hang out with my "boyfriend" in fourth grade (we always had adults around), but I have no idea what's right. I'm trying to track down a talk for you - It was amazing! It's called "No more double messages" by JeaNette Smith. It is directed for teens, but it had helpful advice for how to deal with boyfriend/girlfriends despite the age. I know it's for sale at the BYU bookstore and probably Deseret (and it would be a good buy) but let me see if I can get it for you. I should probably get a copy anyways.

Sheri said...

I would love a copy of it. I'm not too worried - it's just that I don't want to send mixed messages. He can't have a girlfriend but he can go to the movies with the girl he likes who likes him back? ARRGGG. We did make a deal that if he waited until he is 16 to kiss a girl I will give hime $200. He reminds me of that often.

Jen said...

I think you are still ok at this age.

Hope you are feeling better. How was Ben's party?

We missed you at Charlie Brown. Hope your better before 5 tomorrow.

If you need any help, just ask.

Christy said...

Tough call - but it's good that you laid it all out for the other mom so it didn't end up as an "unplanned" date... as far as I know, Taylor is still too chicken to do more than casually flirt with girls, but in 10 months time he'll be going to stake dances - YIKES!!!! That really freaks me out!

Sorry you are sick again- Eric picked Dallin up this morning at 7:30 to go to a scout thing and they hadn't even gotten to the Cornerstone parking lot and Dallin told him to pull over so he could chuck in the dirt! It came on that quick! Eric turned right around and took him home!

Teresa said...

I think you did good Sheri. 9 is definately too young, but the parents are there and you all talked to set the proper expectation. He'll always remember what you tell him.

Merilee said...

OOOOooo, that's a tuffy! Last year I had to fill Boston in on how to turn down girls "politely".

Sheri said...

Maybe he can give Alexander some pointers. Xander told one girl "I don't like you". I tried to tell him that was rude and then he says, "I don't want to give her any ideas". I told him what goes around comes around.

LauraB said...

I really think it's not a big deal if the parents are all in on what's going on - later in life I'm sure he'll be telling everyone he had his first girlfriend at the ripe old age of 9 - but you'll know better. When it becomes a big deal is when he's the only one she wants to go to the movies with her and her parents or it becomes very frequent. Then I'd have to say sometimes the answer is "no."

You'll be OK, Sheri. You know how to talk to your kids and they know they can talk to you.

Tiffany said...

I think I am overly crazy on this subject, if it were your family I would let Tayler go, otherwise I think I would say no. I just don't want to make any of the boyfriend thing seem gray. Sorry about the barforama. We have had plenty of that to last a lifetime around here. I am happy to report that ALL of the barf laundry is complete.

Kim said...

NICE ALEX! Already on datin' age! I hope you had fun. How was the movie?!

THIS IS JOE'S COMMENT

Becca said...

Okay Sheri - I have the goods:
go here for windows media http://byubroadcasting.org/familiesunderfire/asx/fuf107_smith.asx
go here for media player
http://byubroadcasting.org/familiesunderfire/real/fuf107_smith.ram

JeaNette Smith also has a website at http://smithfamilytherapy.com/funnel.htm

I loved her talk and maybe you will too.