Last weekend we spent time at the Lodge with my parents and sister and her family. It was divine. When we were leaving Monday I felt an overwhelming sadness and depression settle over me. I hate being so far away from my mom and dad. Later that day my mom sent me the following text:
"I know you are busy but I just had to share with you how I really felt when you left because I have never felt like that before. This incredible feeling of loneliness came over me and I began to cry. I just couldn't help myself because I knew how much I was going to miss you. I love you!"
I am so grateful for the bond I have with my parents. The older I get the more I realize how lucky I am. I long to have that same bond with my children. Last weekend I was able to open up and confide to my mom about some things and I am so grateful for her love, support and endless wisdom. She never judges me. She just pushes me forward and inspires me to do my best.
A wise man once advised me to tell my children I love them all of the time. To hug them and let them know how much they mean to me. It was hard at first, but the more I do it the easier it becomes.
As I think back on the feeling I had as I left the Lodge I can't help but think of my Heavenly Father and how he must have felt when we left his presence to go to earth. His heart must have ached for us as he thought of the trials and tribulations we would have to go through. But he sent his spirit to comfort us when we need it and to help us feel his overwhelming love for us.
It's hard for me to hold onto that thought and feeling. It's hard not get down and be depressed by things I cannot change. It's hard to have faith in the bigger picture and not to get caught up in the daily drama. As I move forward and try to do my best I'm so thankful for parents who love me and most of all for a Heavenly Father who is always there for me.