Friday, September 13, 2013

Star Student

Last Friday Evan announced that he would be Star Student the following week.  Since Evan hasn't been too keen on school lately I thought this would be a fun change for him to be spotlighted each day.  WRONG.

On Monday he had to fill out a poster-sized newspaper that asked all sorts of questions about him.  With Max's help he filled most of it out.  But he couldn't think of what he wanted to be when he grows up (a scientist??  a cowboy???  a builder?  and acrobat?) every answer sounded bad to him.  And then he couldn't commit to what his favorite movie is.  Every movie suggested what shot down.  I had to send some pictures with him to school and Evan agonized over which ones to send and what to say about each one. 

On Tuesday he had to bring his favorite book.  According to Evan his favorite book is Frog and Toad.  Well we don't have that book.  I don't know if he was in denial or what...but Tuesday morning was rough.  I finally sent Stellaluna with him.  When he came home that day he announced, "Huh..that book was pretty good...but it was no Frog and Toad."

On Wednesday he had to talk about a family tradition.  Luckily he thought of one and made me write it down in case he forgot.  On the ride to school he kept asking, "What's the tradition again?"  I'd say, "Remember...you had me write it down.." and then he'd question me over and over again about it.

On Thursday he had to bring in the Estimation Jar with something in it.  Everyone in the class then gets to "estimate" what's in the jar.  He was so nervous that he'd forgot how much was in the jar that he wrote it on a piece of paper and taped it to the inside of the lid of the jar.  And then he worried that some kids might cheat and try to look at the lid.  By this point I think both he and I had an ulcer from this Star Student crap.

Today (Friday) was the worst.  Evan was supposed to bring 5 things from home to show his class.  He found 2 things fairly quickly (his favorite rock and his 3 DS).  Then he found a ceramic animal he made and a Mario Brothers mushroom eraser.  That took about an hour.  He couldn't decide on the last thing.  I was going to be late for work so I made him get in the car and stopped by Circle K on the way and got him his favorite candy.  Starburst.  For some reason that made him cry which made his glasses fog up.  It's seriously the saddest thing ever when that happens.  By that point I'd had it and when we pulled up to the school I made him get out of the car.

Being Star Student is way to much pressure.