Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Perseverance


 Ben had the opportunity to play tackle football this year but he passed because he wanted to play flag at school with his friends.  The tryouts were a week every day for 1 hour after school in 110 degree heat.  Ben sprained his ankle the second day of practice but that didn't stop him.  He still practiced every day and would ice his ankle every night.  His perseverance paid off!  He made the team a long with his best friend Ian.  It was an awesome day for both boys.

The next week Ben went to practice every day but sat out to give his ankle a chance to heal.  The week after that he was ready to play!  That Tuesday was their first game and while Ben was rushing to pull a flag, a player from the other team pushed him from behind causing him to land on his left hand.  He said he heard a pop.

The next day after school he said it hurt worse and I could see it was swollen so we went the Urgent Care.  The day after that they called and told us it was broken - he goes to a ortho specialist tomorrow.  The radiologist at Urgent Care thought it had a buckle break on his wrist in his growth plate.

The other day in the car Xander asked Ben why he didn't just quit football since he has spent a lot of the season on the bench because of injuries.  Ben replied, "I worked hard to make the team, I'm not quitting."

I love Ben's perseverance.  When he puts his mind to something he doesn't give up.  I am so proud of him.

He's my hero.