is growing up. He is walking that thin line between being a child and being a teenager. As he gets older he takes on and accepts more responsibility. And he loves it. He loves being in charge and he loves people depending on him. Where did he come from?
He hates disappointing me. For weeks he has been preparing me for his grades. Telling me off and on that he may be getting a B in this class or a C in that class. When we got his report card (one B, the rest A's) I knew I had to make a big deal about how awesome he did-because he had been so stressed out about letting me down, I wanted him to know how proud we were (and are) of him. I also told him that as long as he does his best and tries his hardest, I will be proud of him.
Last week we took a ride together in the car. He was having a sad day and confided in me about some things going on. I listened and gave him the best advice that I could think of - that we are responsible for our own happiness. We can get sad about things or feel left out or mad, but a positive attitude can make all the difference. I told him how I struggle with being sad and feeling helpless. The things that help me the most are reading my scriptures and praying and thinking about all of the things I have to be thankful for. And sometimes crying on Ian's or my mom's shoulder. I told him I would always be there for him.
Saturday I took him fishing. I sat looking at the lake, watching my son cast into the water - periodically coming over to update me on the status of his casting. And I thought about how lucky I am to be his mother. And how even though he is growing up, I am glad we are on this journey together.