Wednesday, October 27, 2010

He fought the wall and the wall won

Last night I had a meltdown. That's what happens when I can't handle what's going on in my life. Luckily, Ian knows just what to say. He told me that all that matters is that we have each other and we are a family. We'll figure everything else out. His optimism has been keeping me going.

Today I was about to screen my last patient at work when I glanced at my phone and saw I had 2 missed calls from my mom and a text. I looked at the text. It said: "Alex is hurt. Come now." I called her and she told me Xander had ran into a brick pillar playing football at school. The ambulance was on it's way.

I don't remember the next 5 minutes, just that I quickly spoke to my office manager and she urged me to "Go!". I love my work. I love that I work with a bunch of women and we all support and like one another. We don't gossip about each other. We all care about what's going on in each others lives. And everyone their puts their family first. It's understood.

On my way to the school I called Ian. He immediately calmed me down. He's been doing that alot lately. Then I called Tiffany. And let me interrupt to say that Tiffany is da bomb. Seriously. Like I don't use ghetto words for just anyone.

As I saw the firetruck and ambulance at the school I had to tell myself about 1,000,000 times to calm down. Tiffany assured me that the school has to call emergency services. That made me feel better.

I ran into the office. As soon as Xander saw me he started crying. He later told me that when he got injured he kept telling himself not to cry because he didn't want to look whimpy - even though he pretty much had to be carried by a friend to the office. But then he felt he was bleeding and he thought, "It's o.k. to cry - I'm bleeding." I guess it's o.k. to cry when you see your mom too. He looked pale, tired, hurt (he had a sprained shoulder, a gash on his head and was sweating profusely)and scared. Mostly scared. My mom was still there (thank goodness for my mom. Like super THANK GOODNESS FOR MY MOM!).

The fireman was awesome and based on his assessment, he recommended we go to the hospital. Then the ambulance guys strapped Xander to a board (a precaution in case he had a spine injury - at that time his shoulder and back were hurting - plus his eyes kept rolling like his was going to pass out - I guess he had already fainted once) and took him by ambulance to the hospital. I met them there.

I called Ian to update him and then I called Tiffany again so I wouldn't freak out. It worked. She kept me calm. I think I even laughed - something about her mom and rubber gloves.


I took this picture on my phone at the hospital. I remember the doctor asking what his pain level was - 1 through 10 - 10 being the highest. All I could think about was that Brian Regan skit. Xander said 6. Which was probably about right - he was pretty miserable. They took him for xrays on his shoulder and a CAT scan because he couldn't remember exactly what happened. Also, at the school he was incoherant at times and extremely tired. The nurse gave him some pain medication and medication for nausea.



After about 30 minutes he started to feel better. Luckily, all of his tests came back good. The doctor superglued his head wound together and then we were discharged after being there about 2 hours. Really, it was one of my quickest ER trips. That sounds bad. Toward the end he was in fine form, singing and making jokes. Is it bad that I really enjoyed that time - with just the two of us. I love that boy so much.

Which made me realize that whatever is going on my life, I am so lucky to have 4 healthy boys. Nothing is more important to me than my family.

Thank you, THANK YOU! to everyone who texted me offering your help and support. It sounds so trite - but it really meant so much to me. And of course, especially thank you to my mom. Who was there for Xander. And for me. And fed my kids dinner. I love you, mom.

P.S. One of the sweetest things was when I called home to talk to Ben. I told him Xander was hurt but would be alright. He told me that he already talked to Grandma and that him and Max had said a prayer for Xander. :)

P.P.S. Also, his principal and the school secretary both called us tonight asking about Xander. The secretary actually called Xander on his cell phone (she's awesome). When I got to the school his favorite teacher was also in the office - anxious to find out if Xander was o.k. I love his school.

P.P.S.S. Thank heavens for awesome insurance! We paid $25 and don't anticipate having to pay anything else. UPS rocks!

*Xander thought of the title for this post*