Today Max went to a birthday party. It was for a boy in his class who had also been in his class last year. In fact, Max had a play date at the boy's house at the end of the school year last year. He was so excited when he got the invitation - there was going to be swimming, a dunk tank and a silly string/shaving cream fight (every boy's dream). On the way to the party he started saying he didn't want to go . He asked if I'd stay the whole time. I may be mean, but I feel like it's good for him if I don't stay the whole time. Especially since I know the parents and am comfortable with him being there. I compromised by giving him my cell phone number on a little slip of paper.
Saturday, July 31, 2010
You'd think I'd have it down by #3
Well, after about an hour and a half he called me and told me to come pick him up. So I drove to the house. I could hear lots of laughter coming from the backyard so I drove around and came back 15 minutes later. By that time the party was wrapping up. When we got to the car he said, "I had to call you because something bad happened." "Really - what happened?" I asked. "Someone spilled their Sprite on me and then people kept on shoving food in my face even though I told them I wasn't hungry!" (Translation: a kid accidentally spilled his drink and some landed on Max. Then the parents were worried because Max wasn't eating much - so they kept offering him different things to eat). I think giving him my cell phone number was a mistake.
Ian and I were talking about Max tonight. How sometimes he's a little off socially (he takes after his mother). He becomes overly concerned about whether people will make fun of him for something he's wearing or worried that he might do something wrong. And sometimes he misunderstands certain situations or things other kids say to him. While these things make me frustrated (we are working on helping him understand social cues better), it made me happy that he has some good friends who he feels comfortable around.
He has Ben- who plays with him and always says "yes!" when Max asks, "Ben are you my friend?".
He has Liam who he's known since birth. Although they don't see each other a whole lot, they always play like they saw each other yesterday. I love to listen in on their conversations.
He has James - his cousin and also one of his favorite people. Who is unfailingly happy and always up for anything.
And he has Case - who has become a good friend in the last year. Someone who he sees at church and at school. And who he loves to play with.
I am so thankful that he has friends who he feels comfortable around. Enough so that he doesn't stress out or worry when he sees them. I know that as he gets older he'll become more confident about making friends, but for now I am so thankful for those awesome friends who accept him for who he is. Because really, he's pretty awesome himself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I love that Ben reassures him.
Ben is the best friend anyone could have. I hope Max considers me one of his friends.
I'm sure it's hard to stand back sometimes and let him learn on his own, but it sounds like you do an incredible job at helping him be his best.
Post a Comment