Thursday, April 30, 2009

Deaf Ears

It happened again. Xander and Ian sat down one Sunday afternoon a few weeks ago and watched Poltergiest. Again. (you might have remembered when I first posted about this in June 10, 2007). I hate that movie. And I haven't even seen most of it. As they were nearing the end of the movie it was bed time and I was herding the other boys to bed but of course there was lots of, "Why can't I stay up and watch the movie?" so I said fine, as long as you don't come crying to me when you are scared. 10 minutes later Xander, Ben and Max were all scared and crying. The movie was over and Ian's taunts had begun. He did "crazy, scary clown face" to Ben and Max and kept moving the Woody doll in Xander's room. I hid in the study, burying my face in some book.

2 weeks later and we are still feeling the aftermath of Poltergiest. Last night Xander started crying because once again Ian was making "crazy, scary clown face" and he was too scared to go to sleep. Then I had to go down to my parents' house to take my dad something so as I went outside and got on my bike I sensed something behind me - and there was Ian running after me, with that look. I think I called him an ass. I know! when I get scared all sorts of inappropriate remarks escape from my mouth. He almost gave me a heartattack.

I get back and Xander has calmed down. I remind him that I told him not to watch the movie. And that it's stupid to watch something you know will freak you out. But as usual, no one listens to me.

and yes, Ian does get some kind of perverse joy out of scaring his wife and children.

10 comments:

Brian said...

When you are scared inappropriate remarks come out of your mouth? What's your excuse the other times?

dallin gonzales said...

i think that's hilarious, ha ha, the woody doll's great

Kim said...

That's just mean.

Plus, as a parent, you WANT your kid to go to sleep at night. Why would you try to scare them so they can't sleep?

I think you and the kids need to come up with some way to get even.

Amanda said...

Every single time I go into the bathroom, Nate hides somewhere in our room to scare me when I come out. Every time I am glad I had just emptied my bladder right before. I never get used to it, and it is always unexpected. I think I have said "bastard" a time or two.

Jerks!

Becca said...

I hate scary movies and recently decided I wouldn't watch PG-13 movies (they seem to be getting worse and worse). Tim and I watched Yes-Man last night - and why oh why didn't I maintain my new standard - Am I a loser? I feel like I get dumber and worse as a person with bad movies.

Unfortunately, I have watched many horrible movies to come to this conclusion and decision, so just think Xander IS learning - right????

Ian, seriously?

Sorry, I am obviously opinionated on this subject...

Teresa said...

I don't mind scary movies, but can't stand bloody ones or evil ones. Not my thing.

As for the taunts in your house--you are outnumbered by 5 boys (that includes your husband,) so there isn't much you can do about it. Jack began the whole jumping out and scaring us games by the time he was 1 year old. It is the curse of boys!

Sheri said...

btw, Poltergiest is PG. You can't always trust ratings...

Becca said...

I knew it was PG (otherwise Xander wouldn't be watching it - right?). I agree with you - ratings don't always work. My favorite site for ratings is kidsinmind.com.

In the meantime, next time Ian scares someone - you should get a picture to post - you have peaked my interest.

Jon said...

Can I submit are request to post a picture of the "crazy,cary clown face"

Christy said...

I think poltergiest was made before the pg13 rating came to be. That's one freaky movie. Since I became a mom I can't handle freaky movies. What Lies Beneath (with Harrison Ford) gave me nightmares for 2 weeks. Yeah, I'm a total wimp!