Thursday, June 19, 2008

Music to my ears


I love all types of music. Alternative, broadway, classical, pop, rap and I even went through a George Strait phase. Try not to judge but I am still a closet fan. Ian also loves music so consequently we own quite a few c.d.'s. Actually if we sold all of our c.d.'s we could probably afford to install a front yard. We have that many. Most of the time I will hear a song, buy the c.d. then have to listen to the c.d. a few times before I make a judgement. One exception I can think of is Pete Yorn's "Music for the Morningafter". I wanted to hate that c.d. because I thought he was an Eddie Vedder wannabe, but from the first time, the first song I LOVED it. I still do.

I have been looking forward to the new Coldplay c.d. for months now. I don't listen to the radio, but Ian kept telling me how great "Violet Hill" was. I never heard it. I did hear "Viva la Vida" because of all the I-tunes commercials. My mom fell in love with Coldplay because of that song. I have been a Coldplay fan from the first album. Shiver is such a brillant song. My other favorite songs: Greeneyes, The Scientist and Clocks are from their second disc. But I still have to argue that X&Y is their best overall disc. They keep evolving and getting better.

On this new disc, "Viva la Vida" is the obvious stand out song. I haven't had a chance to listen to much else of the disc because Xander keeps changing to that song everytime we're in the car. One thing I have noticed is that musically, this disc is superior. Some of the arrangements are dope! (betcha didn't know I speak street).

I love music.

P.S. My mom called me the day the c.d. came out and and said, "Sheri I think this c.d. might be about death and there's a naked girl on the cover (it's a picture from the French Revolution)." She still bought it.

12 comments:

Merilee said...

I love when people speak street! Ok, I really meant to say I love when people get super stoked about music. I'm just a so so fan of Coldplay and Pete, but maybe now I'll have to give them more playing time.

Sheri said...

Merilee, do you have the soundtrack from Juno? It reminds me of you.

As I get older, my music tastes get mellower and mellower.

Methodical Wormer said...

"She still bought it" HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I love it.

The more I hear about your family the more I love it... and am secretly jealous. Okay, maybe it's not so secret anymore:)

Christy said...

We love Coldplay too! I first remember hearing their music in that TV show, Without a Trace. Been a fan ever since. Today is "Coldplay Nation" on Sirius Radio and while Eric and I were out we got to hear some of their music, plus their favorite songs too. Very interesting! I love that your mom still bought the CD... she cracks me up! Eric totally wants to buy it too. He figures why download the whole album from itunes when he can buy the CD for about the same price!

tsumomi said...

I'm with you on the music thing. I dig all kinds. For some reason I have been stuck in the old school rap lately. Can't get enough Kurtis Blow. Go figure.

Brian said...

Sheri, you are as street as they get!!! Eddie Vedder wanna be? There's only ONE Eddie Vedder! Anyone who tries only fails. Long live Eddie!!

Darrel said...

Brian, we all know about the man-crush (gay-crush??) that you have with Eddie Vedder, try not to remind us about it. I have to say that I don't think I'd recognize a Coldplay song if I heard it. I do like Pete Yorn though.

On another note Sheri, seriously, I know it has been said before, but those word verifications are getting to be incredibly long.

Lexie & Sharrid said...

dude with all the cds you guys have, botch them and get yourselves an iPod!! It's so much more convienient and screw itunes, you can download a whole cd for a buck, yes 1 dollar legally at www.mp3fiesta.com and then transfer them over to your itunes account. Super cheap music!

Kristen said...

I LOVE coldplay!!!! Viva is such a great song!!

Anonymous said...

I tagged you, head over to my blog to find out the rules!

Merilee said...

I don't have the soundtrack but I do really like the music from Juno. Megan has it on her playlist so I listen to it a lot.

Why does it remind you of me?

Sheri said...

I don't know...it just does :)