Sunday, June 8, 2008

Camped Out

I think girls camp was more for me than for the girls. I had so much fun. It was like being at a HUGE, spiritual slumber party for 3 days. Our stake doesn't go to those fancy camps where there are cabins, showers and toliets. We rough it. Tents, fires, porta johns (YUCK) and you can take one shower (you have 2 minutes of water) but I decided to embrace my filth. I went with one of my best friends, Adrienne. We get along so well and I feel like I can say whatever to her, and she still likes me :). What had lots of late night talks and it was so great to get some fresh perspective on my problems. Plus the girls ROCKED! On one of the hikes I was talking to one of the girls who is going to be a senior in highschool next year and I was shocked by the pressures and temptations that our youth face. So much worse than when I was in highschool. These girls are really striving to be strong, moral young women and I was so impressed. I can't even begin to say...

They did quite a few faith building activities but I have to say my favorite was called "Solo Time". On Friday afternoon, each girl (I think there were 80 total) was given a journal and was asked to go into the woods, sit quietly and read their scriptures and write their thoughts down. I had lent my scriptures to a girl who had came with our group but wasn't member of our church, so I just sat and pondered and prayed for 40 minutes. I thought about what my priorities are, where I want to be in the future, how I can be a better wife and mother and a better person in general. It was a wonderful experience...and so cool to see all those girls studying their scriptures.

For some reason, while I was there I didn't worry about the boys at all. Maybe it finally dawned on me that they do have an awesome dad...and I came home to a SPOTLESS house (the floors were even mopped) and all the kids were happy - so much so that they barely acted excited to see me...although Evan has been quite clingy today. Ian told me that it was nice to be the primary caregiver - it was cool to be the one that the kids were relying on.

This experience taught me that attitude is so important. I went with a positive attitude - prepared to get the most from the experience - and I did. I hope I get to do it again soon...

P.S. I would post pictures but my camera battery is dead and I can't find the charger. I'll post them when I find it.

P.P.S. I am still exhausted. Literally. No energy. I have drank atleast 5 Dr. Peppers in the last 24 hours. We are going to the beach this week so hopefully that will rejuvenate me.

6 comments:

jill said...

I am glad you are back and back to blogging...your's is one of my favorites. I'm glad you loved girls camp and way to go Ian!

Alli said...

umm....why didn't you write about me???? the best part of camp??

Sheri said...

You were my FAVORITE YCL EVER!

Seriously.

MELANIE said...

I LOVE girl's camp. I have gone for the last four years but now I am in RS. BUT we have a tradition that the RS takes up one meal to the girls at camp and so this Wednesday I will get to go to camp for a few hours. YEAH! I miss the wonderful youth and being surrounded by their fun spirits. so glad you had fun and a clean house.

Amanda said...

Sounds like a good time. I could use a spiritual pick-me up. I never liked girls' camp as a kid, but maybe I would as a leader. And Nate could use that "primary caregiver" experience too.

Welcome back and WAY jealous of you going to the beach.

Drea said...

I feel the same as you about the "Solo Time". It was amazing. It was so incredibly FUN to have you there - You are an AMAZING person and the girls really loved that you were with our ward. I thought Friday night was the best testimony meeting we have ever had since I've been going. It really helped me with my testimony. And we are on for our double date - Jason is excited!