The receipts of my service :)I'm always amazed by compassionate people. Not that I'm not compassionate but sometimes I'm oblivious to those that may need my help. Whenever I'm asked to serve I try to do it with a good attitude - but there are those who seek out opportunities whether big or small to help others. And I wish I were more like that.
A lot of the time I need a babysitter and a lot (o.k. most) of the the time that responsibility falls on my mom. My kids love her and she loves them but I know they (especially Evan) wear her out. I needed a babysitter Monday and asked Tricia. She didn't even hesitate to say yes! I already felt guilty about calling her because I know how busy she is and that she has 3 kids of her own. Tricia is always so willing to serve and never complains about it! My other sil Trina is the same. If I call her to watch the kids she will rearrange her schedule to accomodate me. I appreciate them both so much.
Yesterday at Ben's baseball practice I realized I left my phone in the car and I needed to call Ian to coordinate some things. I started strapping Evan in the stroller to head back to the car (it was a little ways away and up a hill) when one of the dads volunteered to watch the kids so I could run get my phone. It was a little thing, but I appreciated it so much. And then I thought of Alexander's coaches who always offer to pick him up for practices or games. Because of them I am able to have both of my boys in sports at the same time.
When I was younger my mom, sister and I volunteered at a battered women's shelter. It was an eye-opening experience for me and one that taught me the importance of service. I'm lucky to have parents who serve willingly, faithfully and most importantly happily. I hope I can teach my children to be and to do the same. And I really hope that I can get my act together and be a better example for them.
10 comments:
Great post. I am so not like this and that's too bad. I do have to say that Kim is the best example of this in our home. The standing joke in our home is that Kim doesn't know the meaning of the word "NO". She definitely gets this from your mom. That used to make me angry, but as she puts it...'why are we here? If someone needs help, then it's our duty to do it' I love her for it, even if I have not followed her lead.
Hey, speaking of compassionate service - I need a partner for Meals on Wheels next Friday (4/4) morning... are you interested??? Get back to me as soon as you can either way! The pick up time at the hospital is between 10:30 a.m. and 11:00.
I know what you mean. I think the best thing I can teach Jack is to learn to be charitable and find ways to give to others. I think you are on the right track.
Sheri you are a great example of service. You always watch my kids when we need help, Thank you so much for that!!
I think I know what you mean. But there also might be a beter time in your life to improve (if you even really need to?) certain parts of who we are when there are so many little people to take care of.
Try not to beat yourself up too much about it- you are doing so awesome at keeping a journal of their lives (this blog), showing them to love music (HUGE!), sharing your sense of humor and silliness (muy importante in life), and be the type of person to know when you need help and how to ask for it.
Of course this is so super random of a comment, I don't even know you and it's pretty much what I gather about you from what you have posted, but just what came to my hed reading this entry, so there it is.
I feel there are areas I lack where I want to be better as well, some days I dwell on it a lot. Some days not as much.
...don't forget my award for most spelling errorrss!
There is a guy a few doors down who will snow blow and shovel about 10 people's sidewalks and driveways every time it snows. Every time I see him, I am amazed. It is hard physical labor and I am deeply impressed at his willingness to do it.
I too, wish I could do something like that.
Wow! I love when people say nice things about me. It really is no big deal, my kids love your kids and I would've been sitting outside anyway! You do so much for others you might not notice because it comes naturally and doesn't seem like a big deal to you but I see the little things you do all the time.
You do more than you think. I mean you are a slave oh, I mean you serve your kids ALL day. Thats a lot to be said about you.
Liz - I think I deserve the award. or atleast the award for always wrighting the wrong word. I meant the recipants of my service not the receipts.
Post a Comment