Tuesday, March 4, 2008

OK COMPUTER

This post is from me--Ian.

I originally had this post titled Welcome to the Cheap Seats. Hence the random picture of The Wonder Stuff. I guess Sheri had just done a post with that title. I am too lazy to take off the picture and find my new Radiohead reference.

It has been awhile since I added something new on the old family blog. I have a few stories that Sheri keeps telling me to write about, but this one is all new...and fresh on my mind. I guess I will keep certain parties involved nameless, due to some embarrassment. I know that isn't like me, but it will work just the same with a faceless victim.
Okay...
I have been texting more now so that I won't go over on minutes from our family share plan. Sheri knows, oh too well, that I don't really have a job that lets me talk on the phone all day..so it is not usually a problem. Of late I have went over and got tagged with extra usage charges. Nate and I have talked a lot more and I had some serious help with some Valentines Day and Birthday surprises --thanks Kim and Tricia--so the minutes added up. So, Sheri and I got 300 texts a month added to our plan, and now I just text other drivers were we should eat lunch, meet points, help each other out, etc...and now I save many minutes.
Well...
I mentioned that I found voicemode on my phone and now it is even easier to text. I had to adapt it to the sound of my voice by taking 3 minutes to read some common words. Now when I talk in text mode it will put down the words that I say. I mentioned I have to talk a little bit robotic to make sure the words don't get jumbled together. Well at some point a certain person misunderstood and said they would really like to hear a voice text from me. I immediately realized they didn't get how it worked so I tried to explain through text.

That didn't work either...This is where my sly grin appears.

I text to the victim-
'call my cell phone.voice text has been activated'
... seriously, you can't make this stuff up.

I turn off my truck and prepare my voice for the impending phone call.

ring, ring...
..okay Ian..no laughing..calm down ...you got this one(sorry that was my pep talk)

"Hello?" the voice on the other side asks.

and now me, in my best Stephen Hawking voice(robot sounding, just in case you missed that reference)

Wel-come to Voice mode.
To speak in voice text with pfft IAN pfft
Press 1 now. To Exit press 2.
and yes pfft is me making a static sound before and after I say my name in my normal voice.

I hear them say
'what!?!'
then press a button. 1 or 2 I presume... he he he.

Hello? My robot voice asks --
then a not so nice word and they hang up.

..and I of course bust up laughing because of how beautiful it has turned out so far...

ring, ring...
Here we go again. Robot on.

Welcome to voice mode blah,blah.. same exact thing

"What the! .. oh, come on! huh?! what!!!"
They pressed a button again.
Hello? robot asks
"Hello, IAN?"
Hello Bleep(I can't say their name) this is voice text.

"Can YOU hear me?"they ask meekly.

Sorry robot malfunctions and breaks into laughter
"What is going on?"
...more laughter
'It's me,' I said. 'I'm here.'

They were still confused how I had a voice system to do that
and thought it would be cool if text could have our voices attached to them.
I explained that would be the exact same as talking on the phone.
That is why this person shall remain nameless.

11 comments:

Teresa said...

That was great! How funny!

IAN said...

This story is so much funnier when Ian tells it in person. And no, it wasn't me.

Sheri said...

That last comment was me, not Ian.

Teresa said...

I'm glad you clarified, that sounded a little weird!

Kim said...

Ian does tell a good story. I shouldn't laugh too hard though, because I can totally see myself believing the robot voice. I'm both technilogically challenged and gullible, so I would have fallen into that trap easily.

tsumomi said...

Now that was funny!!!!

Becca said...

Ha Ha Ha. Like Kim, I wonder if I would have believed the robot. I took a speech technology class at U of A and I could get my software to sound very "human". So, I would probably believe it.

Merilee said...

Oh c'mon, just tell us who it was!

Michelle and Aaron said...

We all want to know who it was! Can we place bets? Haha that is too funny.

Liz said...

I laughed out loud 3 times while rinning otuside today.....thinking of ian in his truck talking like a robot and laughing to himself. ian you are such a dork. but it's great entertainment!

Liz said...

i meant to type: running outside.

now you can make fun of me for poor speleeng since i called you a dorkk.