Well...it happened. Xander turned 16. Yesterday. Technically he could drive...that is if he was even remotely interested in driving. Which he isn't. When I started thinking about his 16th birthday I wanted to do something fun and special for him. Birthdays at our house aren't a super big deal but I wanted this one to be special. Especially since it was his "magic" birthday (he turned 16 on the 16th). When he was in California for choir this past weekend, I enlisted Ian as my partner in crime and we went birthday shopping. I wanted to buy 16 presents and hide them around the house. Let me say...it was so much fun doing it with Ian's help - Ian really got into picking the presents.
I decorated the house the night and hid the presents the night before. We had so much fun watching him find them and I'm pretty sure he was happy with his loot. Some of the things he got: a calligraphy set, a shirt, a tie, flip flops, a Fleet Foxes cd, drawing pens...just little things that we knew he'd like. He hugged Ian and I both before bed and told us what a great birthday he had.
In ways I feel like I have grown up with Xander. He made a mother out of me. He has taught me patience, understanding, love..and most of all to laugh at myself. He never lets me take myself too seriously. We have both made mistakes but hopefully they are mistakes we learn from. I think being the oldest child is hard and Xander handles it beautifully.
16 things I love about Alexander Kay Trezise:
1. His creativity
2. His spirituality
3. His sense of humor
4. He works hard
5. He loves his family
6. He loves his friends
7. He is an excellent cook
8. He cares about the environment
9. His passion for fishing
10. He loves to learn
11. He protects his brothers
12. He honors his priesthood
13. He gives awesome hugs
14. He is an artist
15. He confides in me
16. He is loyal