Today my sister and I went to visit our grandmother. She had a birthday this past week and we wanted to see her, give her hugs and just hang for a while. As we talked about cooking my grandmother started reminiscing when she was a young mother with eight (8!) kids, how she sewed and cooked everything. She was up at 5 am and went to bed at 12 am. As a child I looked forward to my birthday and Christmas gifts from my grandma. Usually I received homemade ballgowns for my barbies and one year I received a dress for me and an exact replica of my dress for my barbie. A girl's dream come true.
I can sew a button but I can't sew. I don't like to cook, I'd much rather bake. Sometimes I get up at 5 but am usually conked out by 10 (to Ian's dismay). I struggle with depression, with anxiety and with just feeling like I'm enough. Because frankly, sometimes I'm not. And I've learned that that's ok.
It's ok if I feed my kids have cold cereal for dinner. It's ok if I lose my temper (although I am working on my patience) and it's ok if I'm not every thing to everyone.
These past few years I feel like I am discovering me. I am learning to say what I mean. Not to make commitments I can't keep. I'm learning that sometimes it's ok to take a break.
It's ok.
Sunday, October 7, 2012
It's ok
Posted by
Sheri
at
6:31 PM
Labels: grandma Lambson, Moi