was the best and worst day. I spent almost the whole day with my mom. We drove out to Sweet Tooth Fairy in the morning to get Kim some cupcakes. We had lunch with Christy and Drea and then went and got pedicures. Kim came over later and we all went out to dinner and for ice cream in celebration of my mom's upcoming birthday. I don't get to see my mom much any more and I really loved spending so much time with her.
Repeatedly throughout the day she voiced her concern over my dad. He had an MRI yesterday. Years ago he hurt his back and over the years it has bothered him. These past few weeks have been unbearable for him. We think that the lack of oxygen he experienced with he had carbon monoxide poisoning made the problem worse. The doctors think he has an ruptured disc sitting on his sciatic nerve. The MRI will hopefully help diagnose and deal with what's going on. I kind of brushed my mom off because I've seen my dad in bad shape before (the worst was when he broke his back) and he always seems invincible.
Nothing could prepare me for seeing him last night. It took him 5 minutes to get up off the floor where he was laying. He looks 30 pounds thinner and 15 years older. Because he is on so much pain medicine he had a hard time talking and communicating. It broke my heart. I had to leave Darrel and Trina's quickly and pretty much bawled the whole way home. Poor Kim had to put up with my sobbing. My dad has been a constant in my life. I have always been able to trust him and count on him. Working with him added to the love and respect that I already had for him. He has always been strong, steady and invincible.
Except now he's not.
I couldn't stand to see him in so much pain. I came home and cried and cried. Ian held me while I just sobbed. It was like all of my fears and insecurities let loose in one big river of tears. The boys were concerned until Ian explained why I was so upset. We had a family prayer together and I felt a little better.
This morning I sent out an email to my siblings asking for a family fast on Sunday for dad. I then sent a group text to my closest friends asking them to pray for my dad. They all responded that they would fast too and one even offered to put his name on the temple prayer roll. I'm so lucky to have such great friends.
I don't know who reads my blog any more but I'd thought I'd share this so that anyone who sees this will pray for my dad. He needs all the prayers he can get.