Every year I run the Turkey Trot. I blame Trina. She's the one that told me about it. The first year I started to run it with Trina - she insisted that she was slow and wouldn't be able to keep up with me. She passed me (pushing a jogging stroller) after the first 1/2 mile.
Today I woke up with butterflies. I was worried because #1. I ate french fries last night at 10 pm and #2. I couldn't bring myself to eat the bowl of oatmeal that Holly suggested I eat so that I'd have lots of energy. I couldn't eat anything. Not eating was a mistake (actually I think my biggest mistake might have been signing up for the Turkey Trot in the first place).
Trina kept insisting she was "out of shape" and there was "no way" she'd be able to run it very fast. She left me in her dust after the first 5 minutes (mind you she just had a baby in June - but whatever). "That's o.k.," I thought, "now I'll be able to run it at a slower pace." I now realize that I always need to run with someone. Not only does it motivate me but it helps me keep a consistent pace.
Normally I run 3.5 miles three times a week. I figured that was all the training I need. By mile 4 I was feeling it. And it didn't help that we ran right past a Circle K. Let me tell you if I had money with me I would've stopped and got a Thirstbuster Dr. Pepper and a candy bar. I'm not kidding. I almost asked a bystander for some money. But by then my lips were crusted shut so I couldn't. Lots of cursing in my head.
By mile 5 I was trying to motivate myself. I'd pick a person and say to myself, "I'll beat that person in." Soon all the people I picked were passing me (I tried not to take it personally) and I felt like there was a fire in my chest. And then a man with one leg passed me. I'M NOT KIDDING! He had a mechanical leg and he breezed passed me like it was no big deal. I started to pick up the pace. But he still was in the lead. I looked over to my right and a man as old as father Christmas (with a beard just as long) was passing me! Seriously. There was NO WAY a hundred year old man was going to beat me.
As we came down the final stretch I tried to pick up the pace, but OLM (one leg man) was still in the lead. It was neck and neck to the finish line, but he beat me by a leg. My ego wasn't completely bruised because I did manage to beat Santa. Barely.
Many times I thought about giving up. Just running back to my car. But I did it! And I learned an important lesson: I DO NOT like to run.
P.S. To add insult to injury when I tried to get my friend Liz's attention by repeatedly screaming her name, she totally ignored me! Whatever. Just because her husband beat the turkey, doesn't mean we can't be friends.....or does it?
P.P.S. Can someone PLEASE remind me of this post next year? PLEASE????
9 comments:
I don't get running. Unless I need to run away from something because my life is in danger, it seems very unnecessary.
Sheri, at least you were doing it - some of us don't even try - congrats to you - you did beat the 90% of Americans who were sitting on the couch. I say do it again next year. And I hope I can do a turkey trot next year too!!
So the OLM beat you by a LEG? Would that be his only leg?
Yes. And that's why I'm so bitter.
YOU DID IT!!! nice work!!!!
ok my stomach hurts from laughing at this post- the crusted lips and then the one leg man and the I think I know exactly the father christmas man you are talking about! Did he have a yellow headband?! I seriously cheered for him cos he just looked so tired and old every time I saw him in the race.
I am so bummed I didn't see you or hear you!? I must have been putting evan's ring pop back in his mouth for the 500th time and brushing the dirt off it. Or chasing zane away from the pond.
next year. I want to run it too. but let's bring skateboards.
ps. the bananas were my fave. did you see those guys? we will run with them next year. but only because I promise by mile 3 they are pissed off about the friggin banana suit that seemed like a good idea the night before.
I didn't see the bananas but I saw the old dude dressed as an Indian. I'm pretty sure he beat me too.
You bring your skateboard and I'll bring my rollerskates (the ones I hope to get for Christmas). And can we PLEASE get Thirstbusters??? Please?
I am cracking up at the image of you running through the finish line with a Thirstbuster. You may be at the end, but you are all caffeinated up, so you're happy.
One more reason why I didn't do the Turkey Trot this year. It totally sucks when people who shouldn't be passing you are passing you... I know first hand! I'm proud of you for perservering!
Post a Comment