Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I wasn't very popular

Evan is too cool even for the cool table

in highschool. It's o.k.! I'm over it. Sort of. It's not like I didn't have any friends, I did. It's just alot of people didn't know who I was or even want to know. Whatever, I'm over it.

When I think about blogging or facebook or twitter, sometimes it reminds me of highschool. Like how many people comment on my blog is directly related to how well I am liked. Or how many friends I have on Facebook is an indication of how popular I am. Or how many followers I have on Twitter is....wait! I don't Twitter. Halla-freakin'-lujah!

Twitter is just too much. Too much information, not enough mystery. Do you really want to know if I am in line at Target? Or if I just screamed at my 5 year old because he drew all over his little brother? Or that my foot is causing me so much pain that I'm about to go insane? Do you care?

And I'm wondering, who has the time to Twitter? I barely have the time to blog and hardly ever remember to check Facebook. Maybe part of that is that I don't check my internet from my phone, but I like it that way! I can't be worried about that stuff all the time! And if I enabled internet from my phone I'm sure I'd be checking my blog and your blog all the time. I need to draw a line somewhere.

So if my not twittering relegates me to sitting at the "uncool" table, I'm used to it. And I'm definitely resisting it as long as I can.

13 comments:

Becca said...

Tim: What is this "cool table" people are always talking about, and how might one find it?

MELANIE said...

I totally agree with you. I sometimes think I will get more comments on some of my blog posts then I do and I feel bad for a second and then I realize I don't really care. I read plenty of blogs without commenting and it didn't mean that they didn't make me smile, or think, or be grateful or sad. I just didn't have anything to comment. And I refuse to twitter. I barely check my facebook and it reminds me TOO much of high school. I had loads of friends in high school and I talk to 3 or 4 now. Many of my "friends" on facebook aren't really my friends because we would never have a real, normal conversation or go out to lunch. Maybe if I didn't hang out or text my current "real" friends all the time then I would be on facebook talking to them more. idk.

Teresa said...

Boy do I love this post. I really can relate to this. I do love the blogs because it gives me chance to share and receive updates from family members that I do not see because of how geographically dispersed we all are. I thought Facebook would be an extension of that, but it really is a strange thing. It's been great using it to catch up with a handful of friends, but most people seem to just want to increase their number of "friends" and don't really want to reconnect. It does feel like a big popularity contest.

And really, twittering seems to really be for people who do not have a life. I love you Sheri, but I for one do not care to know when you are in line at Target.

Darrel said...

I don't blog, facebook, or twitter, so I guess that I am really uncool.

dallin gonzales said...

hey, you need to put a follower box so i can follow your blog :)

Christy said...

Amen on Twitter. As it is, I'm strapped for time and I've become addicted to Bejeweled (the game) on Facebook, so when I should be productive, now I'm playing online games. I don't have any more time to give up for stupid stuff!

Sheri said...

Melanie - amen, sista.

Darrel - you are the coolest boy I know.

Tim said...

Darrel, I don't understand how you can blog about not blogging...you are some kind of special.

Sheri, sorry not to thank you earlier, but Becca and I have been enjoying the CD you sent since last Friday - it stays in the car CD player (And I have a 30 minute commute to and from work each day).
Thanks.

Jamie said...

Right there with you, Sheri. Twitter Schmitter.

Teresa said...

I had the same thought Tim. I think commenting on blogs counts as blogging Darrel.

Kim said...

Who wants to be popular? Who cares?

I agree Twitter is freakin' ridiculous. The fact that everyone seems to be doing it makes me want to NOT do it.

Amanda said...

I think twitter is strange not only because how people don't care about you going to Target, but the people who DO care. Like the person who thinks, 'hey, I am going to Target too. Sweet!' And then you see her at Target. And she is excited and wants to park by you and walk the aisles with you. Weird.

All facebook does is make trouble. Seriously.

Sarah Robbins said...

I feel that way too! And now, all these people who didn't want to be friends with me in high school want to be "friends" on facebook. It's too weird. I like blogging for fun, and I constantly have to remind myself that's why I do it. . . I forget I am not in high school again and no one is forcing me to be in a popularity contest but me.