Thursday, July 24, 2008

Max + Stairs = Short Vacations

This was Max two years ago on our California vacation when he first lost his fight to the stairs.
We left Tuesday afternoon for the Lodge but had to come back last night because Max got injured. So.. for his second bout with stairs it had the same result. He didn't learn anything the first time around and was beaten again. The boys were playing hide-n-go-seek and Max was "it". He was climbing up the stairs and fell. The funny thing is Max didn't even know he was hurt - Ben had to tell him he was bleeding. I'm thinking he might have that disease where you can't feel pain. Seriously. He tore up his gums pretty bad (Ian could see his permanent teeth). This is the second time Max has sustained a serious mouth injury climbing stairs. Obviously he has my coordination problems.

For the short time we were there we did have lots of fun. Ian's parents were in Pinetop with his brother and came over to visit. They brought the dogs and Evan quickly made friends with Sugar by feeding her Vanilla wafers. I don't know who was more upset when we had to take the cookies away - Sugar or Evan.


Yesterday afternoon we drove over to Greens Peak. This is one of my favorite places in the world. It is so beautiful. Max and I hiked up part of the mountain (actually I hiked up carrying Max on my back). We were sad that the look-out tower was closed.






I've been wanting to take a picture of my dad with my boys for a long time. He is such a wonderful grandpa - they love him so much. I think he is still one of Max's best friends. On a side note - notice Ben. When we were packing he assured me that he packed long pants and sneakers. The long pants turned out to be pajama pants that were too small and he conviently forgot his sneakers. Sigh.



Things I learned from this "vacation":

1. Evan is particular about music. Keane - NO! Housemartins, Coldplay and The Killers - yes.

2. Ben sleep walks. He kept Ian up all night for fear we would find him wandering in the forest somewhere.

3. Rain = mud. And not just plain old mud. Sticky, clumpy, tar-like mud.

4. Boys attract mud.

5. The Lodge is going to be my favorite hang-out next summer.

P.S. it was 57 degrees and raining when we left.

9 comments:

Methodical Wormer said...

Awwww... I'm so sorry about Max! Poor guy.

That looks like so much fun to get away. I'm determined to go somewhere this weekend. Somewhere cooler...

liz said...

holy crap! poor little max. stitches? what happens next? was it really a scorpian and you just aren't telling me?

thanks for the pics btw, my mouth is going to hurt for the following 54 days.

Kim said...

Poor Max! He doesn't do well with stairs. I hope it all heals up ok. He is a trooper.

That stinks that you had to come home from your cabin trip early. I was so jealous that you guys went. I've been dying to get out of the heat.

That's funny about Ben packing his pajamas as long pants. Joe would wear his pj's everywhere if I let him.

Did you guys camp or sleep in the cabin?

I can't believe Evan doesn't like Keane. What's up with that?

Anonymous said...

I was so cool up there. Nice and wet too.

Max is the toughest! He never cried until we told him he might have to go to the doctor, so we stopped that topic and just told him he was fine. Since then he has just said his lip hurts a few times.
It is not like it was a barb from a sting ray or something- just kidding Brian.

We didn't sleep well anyway so it was alright that it was cut short.
...plus i felt bad i couldn't help more with all the work left to be done-watching my kids up there is hard enough.

Ben is clueless. I love him though..and luckily he always seems to get by.

We stayed in Grandma and Grandpas oversized bedroom and that bathroom of theirs is awesome.

Lastly, I don't understand the Keane thing also! He screamed bloody murder the whole time they were on and we tried everything to calm him down. We thought it was mellow enough music to put him to sleep. As soon as it was over and the Housemartins came on he stopped crying and just listened to the music.

ducklips said...

I have to say, I would take The Housemartins any day over Keane as well. I'm with ya Evan.

I am so incredibly green with jealousy though. Your trip sounds like so much fun, other than poor Max. I'm glad he's so tough. From the stories on this blog he will need that quality throughout his life.

Teresa said...

Ouch! That looks painful. Looks like you had a good time other than the injury.

Drea said...

Wow, Max is a trooper - he MUST have the disease where he feels no pain. Looks like you had a great time as a family though! See you on Sunday - wink wink.

Christy said...

"My" Ian sleep walks too. I never worry about it in hotels or camping, (I'm a light sleeper... he wouldn't be able to get up without waking me) but I won't let him sleep on the trampoline... I'm worried he'll fall in the pool if he tries to come back in the house.

top knot extensions said...

It looks like you guys had fun. I am sorry about Max's fall that looks like it hurt!!!