The genius of The Housemartins has a lot to do with Stan Cullimore's music paired with Paul Heaton's politically charged lyrics. It's a pairing much like The Smiths' Johnny Marr and Morrissey. I love how The Housemartins created bouncy, pop songs with catchy and smart lyrics. I forgot how much I love them until I got The Best of The Housemartins (incidentally I do have Now That's What I Call Quite Good - but can't think where it might have disappeared to). I love Paul Heaton's distinctive voice. I also love how they all harmonize. Especially on their cover of "Caravan of Love". That song gives me the chills every time! I decided to post "I Bit My Lip" because it's one of my favorites and the sound is good. Alot of the other songs on youtube had horrible sound (the band is over 20 years old).
After The Housemartins broke up the bassist, Norm Cook went on to form Fat Boy Slim, while Paul and drummer Dave Hemingway went on to form The Beautiful South.
I have always loved The Beautiful South. At first, some what naively. I don't think I "got" alot of their lyrics - which are also politically charged and much more graphic than The Housemartins. While I don't have a favorite Housemartins song, my favorite Beautiful South song is "Prettiest Eyes". Ian and I danced to their cover of "Dream A Little Dream of Me" at our wedding reception. My favorite album of theirs is Choke. When Jason was going to school in L.A. a bunch of us went out and saw The Beautiful South in small club in Hollywood. I remember Paul being dressed in a coat, hat and scarf - even though it was summertime. And that Dave Hemingway sang the girl part on "You Keep it All In". Pretty hilarious stuff. Ian reminded me that Paul threw his guitar into the crowd at the end and he and Jason almost caught it.
I'd like to hear your vote (if you have one). Housemartins or Beautiful South?
8 comments:
The Housemartins clip won't work. But I think my vote is for Beautiful South. Although I prefer their older stuff.
I don't hink I can choose which band I like better. I love them both. Right now I definitely listen to more Beautiful South though.
That sounds like an awesome concert. I've never seen them live.
Housemartins by far
i'm with you Jon.
It's not even a contest. It's Housemartins all of the way! Tiffany is right, your Housemartins clip isn't working. I was totally disappointed because I love "I Bit My Lip". I wanted to see it. Fix it!
You know I have your "Now That's What I Call Quite Good" cd. You put that comment in there just for me.
Housemartins!... but, I do love them both. It is just that the Housemartins are perfection. I always attempt to sing along with their blissful harmonies and always seem to smile whenever I hear them.
I like Housemartins better.
We have "Now That Is What I Call Quite Good". I'm pretty sure we stole it from you. Not really.
Yes we did have our hands on that guitar, but were beat down by ten ferocious Chinese girls. i'm not lying- well, okay it was probably more like two or three but there were so small and quick. i really can't be sure, except that there were gloating afterwards on hollywood blvd with their beautiful white guitar. mocking us, i tell you. i just couldn't bring myself to throw down with them. did they even know what they had? Nate, I needed your Mandarin Chinese to break the language barrier between our two groups. oh well... the one that got away.
Post a Comment