The other day was picture day at Ben & Max's school. I let my kids wear whatever they want for picture day - as long as their hair is combed and they look presentable. Ben chose to wear his Adrian Petersen Vikings jersey. I guess quite a few kids asked him why he wasn't dressed up for picture day. His reply was, "I want to have my picture taken wearing something that I like and I like the Vikings." I'm glad to have a child who is confident in who he is. I told him that years from now, when he looks at that picture he'll remember how the Vikings were his favorite football team.
Speaking of football...months ago Max told us that for his birthday he wanted to go to a Cardinals vs. Redskins football game. The Cardinals and the Redskins are Max's favorite teams. We talked him out of it - mostly because we knew that no way could we afford seats to a Cardinals game.
Yesterday Ian came home with 2 tickets to this Thursday's Cardinals vs. the Redskins pre-season game. I guess one of the Cardinals players gave the UPS Store on Ian's route 10 tickets to that game. Ian got 2. Xander saw the tickets and started freaking out. He went on and on about how he's always wanted to see the Cardinals play. Ian showed the tickets to Ben and Max and Max got the happiest look on his face - although he didn't say anything. Ben said, "Dad, you have to take Max - that's all he wanted for his birthday."
I am constantly humbled by Ben's selflessness. He is the kindest kid I know. Sometimes I think Heavenly Father sent him to me so that I could survive the other 3 (JUST KIDDING!....sort of).
I am so lucky to be Ben's mom.
9 comments:
Ben is awesome. I totally get a kick out of listening to him and Ian talk on the way home from scouts every wednesday. And what a bonus that the game isn't on a Sunday! Max will remember this forever!
Okay, I just started tearing up when I read that. Your boys are the sweetest. Hopefully, Xander took it well. . . What a blessing!
What a great kid you have there! You are doing an awesome job with him!
Ian just texted me and told me he was able to get 2 more tickets - so it looks like they all will be going! Yay!
I loved this post. Evan is my Ben. Wait....so is Sylvia. I think Sylvia and Evan take turns being my Ben. This doesn't make a lick of sense out of context.
miss you!
liz
Ben is awesome. He was telling me this after school today. And there was no envy at all, he was just so excited for Max to be able to go.
It reminded me of the Christmas story about the 2 brothers and one of them wanted a new pair of boots, and the other brother got them for Christmas. Instead of being jealous, he was just so super excited for his brother.
Did I tell you that I love taking Max and Ben home?
Seriously the best story ever. These are the kind of stories that make me so happy I have multiple children. And Rhiannon is exactly like that too! So so so grateful for her. I tell her everyday I don't know what I would do without her.
AND he is so good looking!!!
Ben makes my heart go to mush! I believe because of his selflessness Ian was blessed with 2 additional ticktets!
Laura, that's what I told Ben. It was Karma. He was so good to Max that he got something good in return.
Post a Comment