Friday, April 16, 2010

12 years ago today

I had my first baby.

Crazy. The day Alexander was born was one of the best days of my life. It felt like a new beginning. Like Ian and I were finally a family. It was scary - the thought of being in charge of this little being for the next 18 years (at least). But the feeling I remember most was overwhelming joy.

For the first 4 months of Xander's life, I felt like I was just surviving. Between feedings, changings and crying I barely slept at all. I remember every day around 5 he would start to cry. And cry. For 2 hours straight. At least. Ian and I would tag team - but nothing either of us would do helped. I remember the first day he didn't cry. I felt like we had just hurled over a major parenthood milestone. I know now that it was merely a speed bump.


For the first year of Xander's life I was anxious for his "firsts". I couldn't wait for him to smile, crawl, get his first tooth, walk. I wanted him to keep growing and doing. I wish I had savored him more. Held him more and just enjoyed being his mother. At the time, life seemed to move so slow. Now I feel like I blinked and he's 12.

I love that Xander is passionate about fishing.

I love his sense of humor.
I love the comics he draws. He's so talented.


I love to watch him play with Ruby, Molly or Matthea. He'll make an awesome dad someday.
I love the hugs he gives me. And the talks we have.


I love how responsible he is. I can count on him always.

I am so honored and proud to be his mother. Happy birthday Xan!

8 comments:

Joe said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY XAN!!!!! :D

Joe said...

p.s. HAVE A HAPPY DAY!!!!!

Amanda said...

Happy Birthday Xan!

I can't believe you have a 12 year old. Oh man!

ducklips said...

I love this blog. It made me think of all the feelings I had with each of mine. You are such a good mom.

Happy birthday Alexander!

Heather said...

Happy Birthday, Xander! You are one awesome dude!!

Kim said...

Happy Birthday Xander.

He really is quite the cool kid.

Loved this post.

LauraB said...

Uh, by the way - it wasn't Heather that thought you were an awesome dude - it was me - your ditzy Aunt Laura who was using Heather's computer at the time!

Teresa said...

I love reading about your relationship with your boys. You are a great mom.