Friday, October 2, 2009

Buckle up...this is a long one

Today started off with me making sunflower cakes (yes, you read that right) and my family asking what the horrible smell was. I was making them because today was also Multi-Cultural Day at the boys' school. Ben's class studied Native American cultures and his teacher wanted to have a food table with samples of different Native American foods. Hence the sunflower cakes. I also made pumpkin raisin cookies (which smelled much better than the cakes).


After making the cakes, I quickly slapped on some make up and clothes and ran down to the school to see Alexander's group do their presentation on Meso America. It was so interesting and dynamic - those boys were hilarious! They even did a small commercial during their presentation about ritual knives. It cracked me up! Thanks to Adam who babysat so my mom could come too.





Then I went back home and attempted to get a little work done. An hour later I went back to the school to bring in the sunflower cakes and pumpkin cookies for Ben's class. This one mom, Emily, organized the whole food table - it was wonderful! She found creative and appetizing foods to make and display. I had to leave before the kids got to eat but when I came back later, Kahea (who also slaved in the kitchen making beans and squash) said it was a huge success!


I love the happy look on Kahea's face in this picture


I quickly ran to pick up lunch at Elmers for my mom and dad and then ran home. I got a little bit of work done, and then went back to the school to be a docent for Alexander's class. This meant that I got to take a group of kids around to the different classes to see what they did. My favorites were Japan (the kids got to make oragami and hats), Egypt (the kids made these AWESOME pyramids out of food), Native America and America (Max's class). It was such a wonderful and enriching way to spend my day. Plus I got to hang with my homies - that's always a fun thing!


My cousin's little girl - this is the look she gave me when I told her to smile


Thomas - all dressed up as an early American settler


Xander checking out the reports in Ben's class



I loved when each time Max saw me he would run up to me and give me a hug. And Ben would come over and talk to me. Alexander was having a bit of a rough day (some punk girls in his class were rude to him) but he told me afterward how happy he was that I was there.




My mom watched Evan most of the day so that I could go. She is such a trooper! When I came to pick him up I asked if she wanted a drink (we were going to Sonic) and she said a whiskey would be great! I guess Evan really wore her out.



Tayler's class is studying Egypt and this week they did a wax museum. Tayler was an Egyptian Goddess. She's was awesome. And looked beautiful.

It's so fun for me to watch kids learn and be creative at the same time. I love it! And now my kids are on break - I'm so excited not to have a schedule for the next 2 weeks! Woohoo!



Michael flexing his muscles. He's quite the ladies man :)

2 comments:

Teresa said...

Your boys have such a cool school. I love all the creative learning activities you share.

Tim said...

Michael and Sammi both go to your kids' school? Awesome.