Friday, January 16, 2009

Mini Milestones

One of the best things about being a mother is watching my children learn. Max was so excited to start kindergarten this year. I, however was nervous. He's the only kid in his class going 1/2 day, so I thought he'd have trouble keeping up. Turns out, he was ready to learn and has no problem keeping up with the rest of the class.
Recently his teacher has been sending home writing assignments. Parents are instructed NOT to help kids spell words. The kids are supposed to sound them out phonetically or remember the word from their "sight word" list.

This stresses me out. But Max has no problem with it. He had to write a sentence using the sight word: do.
He came up with "I do like candy". The only word he spelled wrong was candy. And he still came pretty close. I was impressed that he remembered how to spell "like".
Great job, Max!

Now, if I could only get you to remember to wear underwear...

8 comments:

Methodical Wormer said...

That is awesome! Good job Max.

Brian said...

I have the same underwear problem! Good job Max.

Trina said...

Wow, very impressive! What a smart kid! I love that he doubled the "i" for an exclamation point! I Like cand! TOOO!!

LauraB said...

I do like Max!

Teresa said...

Way to go Max! You know, if you can get him to remember to wear underwear, you could offer some parenting advice to Britney Spears' mom.

Kim said...

I loved your comment Teresa.

And yours too Laura. I do like Max too!

I love the pictures of Max. They are awesome.

Karen Lambson said...

Sheri,

I am here in Beijing reading and enjoying your blog. Max looks like such a smart kindergartener. Are you sure you want him to re-do again next year?

Love,
Mom

Sheri said...

Mom,
He is really smart. But socially it will be better if he does another year of kindergarten :)

You need to call dad, he's worried about you!

Sheri