Yesterday Ben was baptized into our church. This was quite a big deal. He has been preparing for this for a long time. It was so cute on Friday (the day before his baptism) Max said, "Ben, after today you're always going to have to share your toys because that's what Jesus would do and you have to do what Jesus does once you get baptized." Ben was so nervous - but excited too. I bought him a snazzy new suit and my mom bought him his own scriptures for the occasion. He took it all so seriously and was excited to wear his suit and bring his scriptures to church today. I hope he always remembers the special spirit he felt at his baptism. I was so thankful that all of my family was able to attend and that Ian's parents came (even though they aren't members). Tiffany even braved it with all of her kids plus one more (thank you Tiffany :))My grandmother and Aunt Laura were also able to be there. The amount of support was awesome.


After the baptism we had everyone over to my parents house for a BBQ. It was a lot of fun hanging out and eating :) Later we went hiking up South Mountain. Not everyone went - just our family, Kim & Joseph, Michael and Tricia, Anna & James. I'm sad to say I didn't make it to the top because Evan was being a pill. In his defense he has a super bad diaper rash so I had to hold him just under his knees. Tricia was such a big help. She helped take care of him at the baptism, at my parents and hiking - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU TRICIA!!!

Friday night Ian's mom called us with the sad news that Mattas is closing. You read this right - no hoax this time, they are definitely closed. Yesterday was the last day they were open so we all headed over there for dinner. John & Betty (my in-laws) got there at 5 and put our name on the list. We got there a little after 6. At 7:15 we still weren't seated with no end in sight so Ian went and talked to the manager to see if we could split up our party. They seated us right away in 2 booths right by each other - yea! We were all starving by then. We all were a little teary-eyed as we ate their yummy chips & salsa and cheese crisps. Ian's family has been going there since it opened in the 1950's. It was really sad to see such a landmark close. Good, cheap food that all of my family likes is really hard to find. It was a bittersweet way to end our day. 
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
I LOVE the picture of you and Ian at Mattas. You look real thrilled.
Ben, I am so proud of you. You did awesome. And looked sweet in your suit!
Wow. You got 4 boys dressed so nice and even got a picture out of it. That is impressive!
I love your family picture outside of the church. You have a beautiful family! And you look like one proud mama :)
Way to go Ben! Boy you've grown up fast!
What a great day. Pass on my congrats to Ben. You all look very snazzy! Looks like I hit Matta's just in time. Now I really want some good chips and salsa.
Congratulations to Ben (and to Mom and Dad). That is such an exciting time. You guys look great in front of the church.
I am very sad for you that Matta's is closing. Thanks for taking us there before they were gone.
Congrats on the baptism - boy was that one CROWDED room, but amazingly enough the spirit was still there! I'm glad we came! I was telling (my) Ian that he was the next one to get baptized (in 7 months) and asked him if he was excited - he said, "no." I guess I've got some work to do!
Since Matta's has closed, you are going to have to show me how to make a cheese crisp. Sad that I've grown up eating at mexican restaurants and don't know what that is!
Apparently during the talk in the chapel, Brian leaned over to Ben and told him it was his last chance to hurry and do something wrong. Aren't you glad he's such a good influence on your kids?
Congratulations Ben! I'm glad I could be there on your special day. You looked like a missionary in your suit.
1) Ben totally looks like a darling! He is so going to be the best kid in seminary I know it, he just has that certain look about him.
2) Ian, are you are you wearing a wig? Where did all this hair come from? All prior photos were like 7 inches shorter? Just curious.
3) Freaking lame about Matta's. My family is going to be sad, too. Good thing I made two special trips while we were in town. If I had only known, then I could have snuck out the back with the dirty fountain for a keepsake.
Ben you are the Best! You were so scared though. It was funny, when we were just about to be called to head towards the font to get wet, Ben turned to me and said, "I'm outta here." And he got up to leave. I wasn't sure if he was kidding-- I knew you would do just fine. It was me that just remembered the confirmation prayer a half hour before the baptism--and yes I was getting nervous. oh yeah, and Liz, I am not wearing a wig--thanks, your funny. I am glad that I still have hair to grow though. I just started growing my hair out a little. Had a short hairdo forever now, I think I'm missing the old mop top I used to carry around. I won't grow it that long, but the front will hang down to my chin if I don't get tired of it. And finally, I am bummed about Matta's because I went there for thirty-three years and mostly with my grandparents who have passed on now. They are keeping the Matta's too, and the Matta's grille open so that the family name will carry on I guess. We did get a menu as a souvenier--yeah...I can look over it and get hungry and act like I'm ordering the #10 combo with a buttered flour tortilla on the side.......tears fall now...and fade to black.
Congrats to Ben!!! How exciting!! I love the pictures!!!
Wow thanks Sheri I sound amazing!! You just had to know that Evan was not feeling well because he LET me hold him. Hopefully he won't be so scared of me now.?. I hope we don't end our hiking streak but more people were grumpy this time. I do enjoy hiking it has been fun.
Congrats Ben now James is so excited.
LOL fade to black.
i want that freaking fountain. make no mistake it will be mine......word.
p.s. ian can you replicate that tree/ birds behind the mariachi band onto canvas?
Post a Comment