I hate dinnertime. It's the most stressful time of day. The kids are always hungry (duh!) and I never want to cook because there is hardly anything I can cook that everyone (meaning Max & Ben) will eat. The other day I was having lunch with Tiffany and her friend Holly when Holly mentioned an easy, yummy dinner idea. All you do is get some boneless pork ribs at Costco, squirt BBQ sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish, put the ribs in the dish, squirt BBQ sauce on top of the ribs then cover the dish with foil and cook at 250 degrees in the oven for about 5 hours. Yesterday I decided to try it. I made wild rice and broccoli to go with the ribs. I must admit that it smelled soooo good - everything looked good too.
So all day long I am anticipating that Max will NOT eat this dinner based on his track record. I even tried telling him that it was Batman's favorite meal. I went on and on about how the broccoli makes Batman quicker and the ribs make him stronger. By the time dinner rolled around Max was actually looking forward to eating. Well, I think he ate one whole bite. Ben ate about half of what was on his plate but I have to admit that I bribed him to even eat that much. Ian and Alexander cleaned their plates (as usual).
I'm cleaning up, feeling somewhat frustrated because I really was excited to have a meal to add to the 3 others that I cook. I see Max coming toward me and he starts stomping on the floor - right on the broccoli and rice that Evan had thrown down. "What are you doing?" I ask him. "My feet are going to be so fast and strong after this," he replies.

7 comments:
does Max know that he is funny? Or is this just the way he always is? This kid sounds just too dang clever.
He has no idea! In fact, he gets mad if we laugh at him.
You should check out the recipe blog link off of our blog. I don't have kids but many who post do so something might work. I love all of the "Max"isms
I share your dinnertime frustration and I don't even have that many people in my family yet. I've started to take the mindset that I'm gonna make what I come up with and if they're hungry they will eat:) I like allrecipes.com a lot. They have tons of stuff and even an option where you can put in ingredients you want to use and it will pull up all recipes with those ingredients.
I'm so right there with you on dinner... I have a house FULL of picky eaters (Even Eric)... I have maybe 2 meals that I cook and no one whines... one is pizza (in any variety) the other is tacos... everyone likes different stuff on their shell, but in the end, everyone is satisfied. We do a lot of bribing at the dinner table and on certain nights, the kids make their own top ramen to eat because they are disgusted with the great food I've prepared!
Max cracks me up! I can't believe all of the stuff that he says. It's great that you are capturing some of his comments.
Those ribs look really good! I may have to try that.
Post a Comment