Sunday, April 7, 2019

Birmingham

July 6, 2018

Birmingham, England

Today was amazing!  We slept in and arrived at Michael and Ally's around noon.  Here is Ian and the boys in front of their house.  When we got there Michael gave Evan and soccer uniform which Evan quickly tried on. 



Then Ian, Michael, Ben, Max, Evan, Eli, Sam and Fraser all went to the Nike outlet.  Ian got 2 pairs of shoes, Ben got 1, Max got 2 and a pair of pants and Evan got 1.  They all had a blast.  Meanwhile, Ally and I took the train into the center of Birmingham.  We went to a huge mall called The Bullring.  First we walked around a little and saw a beautiful church.  

 I went inside and they were having a graduation ceremony for some young children.  The church was gorgeous with sculptures and stained glass windows. 



 Right outside the church was a beautiful sculpture commemorating World War 2. 


Next we walked through the fish market/flea market.  Xander would've loved it in there.  Lots of fish and interesting creatures and things for sale.  Ally had booked us for afternoon tea so we headed to back to the mall.



 While I just had water, the whole experience of "afternoon tea" was great!  Little sandwiches, scones and cakes.  We had a wonderful time talking and getting to know each other.  Afterwards we ran into the Gap and bought some clothes.

Then we walked around Birmingham City Center.  We went into a art museum and browsed although I think I was more enthralled then Ally was.  The City Center was gorgeous.  There were cobblestone streets and beautiful buildings.  They were having a food festival downtown and if we hadn't eaten we would've certainly tried some food.


 Above is the City Council building where Michael sometimes works. 


 We went into another church and I snuck some pictures. 



 After we took the train back we tried to stop by the chocolate factory which is right by their house but it was closed.  Everything closes really early in the UK

 When we got back to Michael and Ally's we hung out for a while then all piled in our cars to go out to dinner.  We ate a charming farmhouse restaurant called Meadow Farm. 


 When we got back the boys played soccer and watched soccer as the World Cup was on.  I can't remember who was playing.




 Right before we were leaving Evan helped Fraser put together a lego set.  It was sad and hard to say good bye - this was the last time we would see them. 

It was a wonderful day and I'm so glad we got to spend it with family.