Recently, Max had to do a report about Thomas Jefferson. Then he had to dress up as Thomas Jefferson for class and give a 3 to 5 minute speech in first person about his life. As we were practicing his speech, Max was stressed. He had to have it memorized and being the perfectionist he is, any time he would miss even one word he would freak out.
I gave him a little pep talk. I said, "When you first started playing football you weren't very good. You couldn't catch the ball and you were nervous about pulling other kids' flags. I watched you on Saturday and you were jumping in the air to catch the ball and were pulling flags left and right - any thing you want to be good at requires practice. If you want to do good at your speech you need to practice." Well, my little talk worked and Max got his speech memorized.
My mom and I saw him perform his speech in front of the class today.
Note to self: Whenever I need to get a point across to Max, use football analogies :)