Thursday, December 3, 2009

Dr. Jeckyll or...


Yesterday I felt like giving up. The first part of the day was nice - productive even! Then the kids got home. As soon as Max jumps into the car after school he turns into Mr. Hyde. Maybe it's because he has to be good all day, I don't know. I'm embarrased to even write some of the stuff he does. He screams. Hits. Punches. Everything makes him upset. He starts 75% of the fights in our house. It's bizarre to me because one minute he can be this witty, loveable kid and the next he's this monster. Where did I go wrong? And how do I fix it? (seriously, any advice would be wonderful).

By 6:00 I'd had it with both Max and Evan (because sometimes Evan = Max x 10). I told Max he wasn't getting anything for Christmas. If he wanted presents he'd have to earn them with good behavior. And by the time Ian got home Evan was so upset over something (I can't remember what) that Ian locked him in the garage for a few minutes - just so he'd calm down.

We all went to bed last night crying our eyes out. Later I laid in bed I realized my mistake - in my prayers the night before I asked for patience with my children.


Never again.

7 comments:

Teresa said...

So sorry for such a crappy day. Yeah, never pray for patience...you don't get patience, you get opportunities to practice patience. And you already have plenty of those...

Becca said...

Don't fret - you're a great mom! We all have to learn to love Mr. Hyde. You'll feel better tomorrow.

My advice is to capitalize on those witty loveable moments and just let Max and Evan vent the monster ones in the safety of your home. Your instincts are probably right - he was just "too good" all day.

Sarah Robbins said...

I never pray for patience for exactly that reason! Just kidding. But that is a prayer you get an answer to right away, every time!

Trina said...

seriously, I try really hard never to ask for anything that may help me be a better person. But anyways lately every time I see Max he is such a sweet kid, hes so cut.

Trina said...

I meant to say max is cute. He may be cut too but I have never really noticed.

Kim said...

Trina, you are funny.

I spent the afternoon with Dr. Jeckyll. He was an absolute delight to be around. No sign of Mr. Hyde at all. I think he saves that for you.

Teresa said...

OK, Trina's comment has me laughing so hard! That is funny!